UCLA students arrested at police brutality protest

Protesters marched though Westwood Tuesday calling for an end to police brutality. (Kailey Rishovd/Daily Bruin)

By Jeong Park

The original version of this article incorrectly stated the police's order to the protesters. The police called for them to move onto the sidewalk, not disperse. The crowd at the freeway exit included about 10 people, not 20 to 30.

California Highway Patrol arrested at least three UCLA students in Westwood Tuesday after they blocked a 405 Freeway off-ramp during a protest against police brutality.

Protesters dressed in black blocked the northbound 405 off-ramp toward the eastbound Wilshire Boulevard exit for about 20 minutes after 3:40 p.m., preventing dozens of cars from getting off the freeway. Most of the crowd, which included about 10 people, were UCLA students who had marched from Bruin Plaza Tuesday afternoon.

About five minutes after protesters started blocking the freeway ramp, about 25 police officers showed up, calling for the protesters to move onto the sidewalk.

Police arrested four people for blocking the freeway. After the police told the other protesters they might also be arrested, they stopped blocking the freeway.

Before blocking the exit, protesters marched through campus and Westwood, chanting “If you’re sick of the murdering police, out of your stores and into the streets.”

The UCLA chapter of the Revolutionary Club, which supports the Revolutionary Communist Party, organized the protest. The Stop Mass Incarceration Network, which was formed by Carl Dix, a representative of the Revolutionary Communist Party, organized a nationwide protest against police brutality Tuesday, barricading the Brooklyn Bridge in New York, among other public spaces.

Those arrested, charged with resisting arrest and disobeying the lawful order, were taken to West Hollywood and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Station in Lynwood.

Compiled by Ian Stevenson, Bruin contributor and Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Jeong Park | Alumnus