Survey ranks UCLA 10th in total compensation for professors

By Sujung Hahn

UCLA placed 10th among national universities in average total compensation earned by full professors in the 2014-2015 academic year, according to a survey released Monday by the American Association of University Professors.

UCLA placed first among public universities in the same category, and came in the top 15 in average total compensation for associate and assistant professors. More than 1,100 educational institutions responded to this year’s AAUP survey.

According to the annual survey, UCLA professors earned an average yearly salary of about $181,000 and receive a total compensation of about $241,500, which includes other employee benefits such as pension contributions. Professors working at public universities that grant doctoral degrees earned an average of about $130,039.

UCLA professors’ average salaries and total compensation both increased about 4.1 percent from the 2013-2014 academic year. On average, professors across two-year and four-year U.S. universities saw an increase of 2.6 percent a year in their salaries.

Data collected in the survey shows that there was a marked increase in inflation-adjusted salaries for full-time faculty for the first time since the Great Recession, according to the press release.

The report also said its findings suggest that rising tuition stems more from declining state funding and endowments rather than increases in faculty pay.

AAUP officials said in the release that they think faculty benefits are not significantly increasing year to year. The report found that, on average, less than 31 percent of the budgets for two-year and four-year public institutions go to faculty salaries.

Compiled by Sujung Hahn, Bruin contributor.

Sujung Hahn