UCLA community organizes encampment in response to national call for escalation

Alumnus Meyer Luskin donates $2 million to UCLA School of Law

Meyer Luskin, a UCLA alumnus, donated $2 million to the UCLA School of Law to establish a chair in legal ethics. (UCLA Newsroom)

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

Meyer Luskin, a philanthropist and UCLA alumnus, donated $2 million to the UCLA School of Law to establish a chair in legal ethics, officials announced Wednesday.

A UCLA Law School distinguished faculty member will serve as the new chair, the statement said.

Luskin named the endowed chair for Robert Henigson because of his expertise as an attorney and his philanthropy in affordable housing, the performing arts, college scholarships and other programs, according to the statement. Formerly, Henigson was a lawyer and partner at the L.A. firm of Lawler, Felix and Hall. Henigson and Luskin are also longtime friends.

“It is an honor to be able to further (Henigson’s) legacy by partnering with UCLA Law, whose mission of research, education and public service is directly in line with what (Henigson) was passionate about,” Luskin said in the statement.

The endowment is also a part of UCLA’s Centennial Campaign, which aims to fundraise $4.2 billion by 2019 for the university’s 100th anniversary.

In the past, Luskin, who is the chairman, president and CEO of Scope Industries, donated the second-largest gift UCLA has ever received. The $100 million donation is for academic programs for the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs and a new conference center expected to open in 2016.

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Bruin reporter.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.