Spring Film Preview 2015

(Sony Pictures)

By Sam Bozoukov

With the exception of “American Sniper,” there haven’t been many critically acclaimed movies since January. However, these next two-and-a-half months look bright as the winter and spring movies transition into summer blockbusters. Here’s a look at what movies will be playing spring quarter.

“Furious 7”

Universal Pictures

Friday

When it was announced that the Fast and the Furious franchise would continue the last half of production of “Furious 7” without Paul Walker, who died in a car accident in November 2013, many were wary of how the film would turn out. However, as the release date got closer, sources revealed the plot was changed and refitted for Walker’s death. To do this, Walker’s brothers stood in and filled his part with the help of computer-generated imagery, a bold move that could do more harm than good. “Furious 7″ will center on Vin Diesel’s character Dominic Toretto and his journey to avenge the death of his brother. With this news, “Furious 7” is sure to be a departure from past action-driven the Fast and the Furious plots and will leave viewers feeling a gamut of emotions, while still having bountiful car chases.

“Avengers: Age of Ultron”

Marvel Studios

May 1

With “The Avengers” being the third-highest grossing film of all time, “Avengers: Age of Ultron” is primed to supersede its predecessor. “Avengers: Age of Ultron” is upping the ante this time around by adding comic book favorites Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and the much-talked-about Vision. The Avengers will go up against the robot villain Ultron, created by leader Tony Stark. This plot point is sure to create tension among the heroes, which will hopefully keep the movie from following traditional superhero plots. In addition to the massive all-star cast, Joss Whedon, best known for writing the previous Avengers movie and co-writing “The Cabin in the Woods” and “Toy Story,” directs this superhero epic. It will be interesting to see how Whedon handles all of the star power in this movie, especially with the additional heroes.

“Mad Max: Fury Road”

Warner Bros.

May 15

It’s been more than 30 years since Mel Gibson first played Mad Max. “Mad Max: Fury Road” will be the fourth film of the franchise. The first three films were hugely successful and were once paragons for post-apocalyptic movies. Luckily for “Mad Max: Fury Road,” the mastermind behind the first three films George Miller, writer and director of each film, helmed this project as well. Instead of Mel Gibson, Tom Hard will take over the role as Mad Max. Tom Hardy’s ability to combine both humor and grit in his acting will ensure a faithful portrayal of Mad Max. It will be interesting to see if Miller’s formula for successful post-apocalyptic movies stands 30 years later, leaving audiences eager for more Mad Max films in the future.

“Pitch Perfect 2”

Universal Pictures

May 15

It’s finally here: “Pitch Perfect 2.” The sequel, however, will have a lot to live up to as it tries to match the hugely successful and quotable “Pitch Perfect.” This time around, the Bellas are competing in an international a cappella competition in which no American group has won. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, as well as other original cast members, will reprise their roles from “Pitch Perfect.” The movie’s song list was compiled by Mark Mothersbaugh, who put together the “22 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie” soundtracks. Mothersbaugh’s style will combine both modern songs and classics, ensuring something for everyone. As long as the sequel doesn’t copy its predecessor, viewers should be in for a treat with this encore performance.

“Aloha”

Columbia Pictures

May 29

Coming off of his third straight Academy Award nomination in “American Sniper,” Bradley Cooper looks to keep his acting career hot with “Aloha.” This romantic comedy was written and directed by Cameron Crowe, who also wrote and directed “Jerry Maguire” and “Almost Famous.” The movie is focused on Cooper’s character Bryan Gilcrest, a military contractor who is deployed to Hawaii and gets caught between two loves. Knowing Crowe, the love story will only be the surface to a complex journey of self-discovery for Cooper’s character. The film also stars an ensemble cast composed of Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Bill Murray and Alec Baldwin. As long as Cooper doesn’t get lost amid the cast around him, the movie should be enjoyable for its audiences.

Sam Bozoukov, A&E contributor

Sam Bozoukov