The University of California Board of Regents will meet in UC San Francisco this week to examine a report from a committee evaluating the University’s cost structure, among other topics.
Gov. Jerry Brown and UC President Janet Napolitano formed the Select Advisory Committee on the Cost Structure of the University during the January regents meeting. The committee – made up of Napolitano and Brown – seeks to address the University’s proposal of increasing tuition by up to 5 percent annually for the next five years if the state does not sufficiently fund the University.
Napolitano and Brown will give preliminary updates on Wednesday on what the committee discussed. The committee met in late January and late February and heard from experts within and outside the University, according to the regents’ document.
- The regents’ Committee on Compliance and Audit will vote on the University’s external audit plan for the 2014-2015 fiscal year. KPMG, a consulting and audit firm, will conduct the audit.
- The regents’ Committee on Health Services will hear from the chief executive officers of the campus medical centers about challenges the UC Health system faces. It will also discuss collaboration, such as shaping the University’s immunization plan, between student health centers at different campuses.
- The regents’ Committee on Grounds and Buildings will discuss the University’s annual report on sustainable practices.
- The regents’ Committee on Educational Policy will hear from Nicholas Dirks, chancellor of UC Berkeley, on changes in the structure of undergraduate education throughout U.S. history. Regent George Kieffer called for the report, saying he is interested in how the UC prepares its students for the future.
- The regents’ Committee on Educational Policy will hear from Vice President of Student Affairs Judy Sakaki and Ron Williams, UC Berkeley program director of re-entry student and veteran services, on services the University provides for student veterans. The committee will also vote on a provision that would grant certain veterans exemption from paying nonresident supplemental tuition.
Compiled by Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.