Theater & More: LA Fashion Week brings styles of late ’60s, ’70s down the runway

(Bijun Liang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Marina Romanchuk-Kapralau

Cameras flashed, high heels clattered and the guests smiled as excitement vibrated through the air.

Organized by Kelsi Smith, the director and founder of the Los Angeles Fashion Council, Los Angeles Fashion Week was held in downtown Los Angeles from March 7 through Saturday.

Several designers presented their fall and winter 2015 collections Wednesday in THE REEF building, a home for creativity that unites three communities – LA Mart, Maker City LA and Magic Box – to support all types of creators from Los Angeles.

Among the local designers were Rochelle Carino, Braulia Avina, William Bradley and Michael Ngo. French designer Jelena Vujanovic visited Los Angeles with her new collection from Paris.

The designs of the young Bradley were magnetizing. Bradley presented some conservative but exceptionally graceful pieces. His vinous and black suits and three-quarter-sleeved gray jackets with tidy collars could be suitable for work, comfortable for school and still elegant enough to wear for a night event. With their solid pastel colors and airy chiffon fabrics, Bradley’s pieces were reminiscent of Jacqueline Kennedy’s style.

Another young designer, Ngo successfully debuted a provoking first line. His black and gold jumpsuits, little leather dresses and short suggestive robes fringed with spikes were met with thunderous applause from the audience. Three transgender models in skintight latex shorts and sparkling tops closed Ngo’s show, performing a sensual dance with hand fans.

The elegant and sophisticated spirit of Paris was brought to Los Angeles by Vujanovic. The chic look of Vujanovic’s models, dressed in long scarlet and black dresses, knee-length skirts with floral prints and polka dot suits, was finished by matching berets.

The major theme, which connected most of the collections presented at Los Angeles Fashion Week, was the late ’60s and ’70s. The pieces used bold prints, such as florals and polka dots as well as bright colors: saturated greens, golds and reds. Models had big hair and wore fur vests and caftans, popular in the ’60s.

In terms of fashion, the late ’60s and ’70s were the time of the hippie movement and the time of great stars of style. Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy and Kennedy are still considered fashion icons and serve as examples for modern designer lines. Following this trend, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein and BCBG Max Azria used a lot of assorted prints and soft layering in their collections in 2015.

Avina presented a line inspired by vintage cloths and classic American cinematography. The essence of the films from the past were shown in geometrical skirts and the models’ big, fluffy hair.

“I wanted to do something fun,“ Avina said after the show, running her fingers over the snug green, golden-brown and white abstractedly printed vintage fabrics of her designs. “I love late ’60s. I love the ‘Valley of the Dolls.’ That is what inspires me.”

– Marina Romanchuk-Kapralau

Marina Romanchuk-Kapralau