USAC recap — Feb. 24

By Catherine Liberty Feliciano

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• Council allocated about $3,000 from the Contingency Programming Fund to 18 student groups.
  • The council approved funding allocations to the Arts Restoring Community fund and the Academic Success Referendum fund.

• The council unanimously approved to set spending caps for the spring undergraduate student government election to $850 for executive office candidates and $750 for all other candidates per the Election Board’s suggestion.

• Councilmembers decided to reinvest in the endowment with a vote of 11-0-0.

Officer Reports

• President Avinoam Baral said he and other University of California student government presidents determined agenda items for their meeting with Janet Napolitano set for March 1. They intend to discuss Senate Constitutional Amendment 1, tuition increases, mental health services fees, sexual assault, sexual health and UCPD’s interaction with the community.

• Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said she intends to conduct “night walks” to identify poor street lighting in Westwood. There will be a student vendor fair Monday and a UCPD open forum Tuesday to discuss theft prevention and safety action plans from 3 to 5 p.m. in Ackerman Union 3517.

• External Vice President Conrad Contreras said his office is working on changing language around advocacy to repeal Proposition 209.

• Academic Affairs Commissioner Allyson Bach said the commission is trying to get Counseling and Psychological Services’ number printed on every class syllabus. The MyUCLA survey to give feedback on the website is now open until March 13, she added. Professors can post statements for or against the diversity requirement until March 9, Bach said, and voting has been postponed until March 30 to April 10.

• Transfer Student Representative Negeen Sadeghi-Movahed said she spoke at a Pilipino Recruitment and Enrichment Program event for high school students.

• Administrative Representative Cheryl Sims said religion should be considered while contemplating diversity because of its ability to bring people together.

Compiled by Catherine Liberty Feliciano, Bruin contributor.

Catherine Liberty Feliciano | Alumnus
Catherine Liberty Feliciano was a news reporter and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. She wrote stories about Westwood, research and student life. She dabbled in video journalism and frequently wrote #ThrowbackThursday blogs. Feliciano was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year.