Man reported peeping into student apartment on Hilgard Avenue

By Sam Hoff

A UCLA student called police early Wednesday morning after she saw a man looking through the door of her second-floor balcony on Hilgard Avenue.

According to a university police statement, the student heard a noise on her balcony about 3 a.m. and walked to the door to see what it was.

When she approached the door, the man jumped down from the balcony and ran north on Hilgard Avenue, police said.

The man was described as Hispanic, in his mid-30s, 5 feet 10 inches tall and 180 pounds with short brown hair. He was wearing a dark gray zip-up jacket and dark pants, police said.

The incident is still under investigation.

From September 2013 to August 2014, UCPD responded to 28 reports of peepings in Westwood and on campus. Since fall, only a handful of peeping incidents have been reported in the area.

UCPD recommends that students be aware of their surroundings, lock their doors and windows, shut their blinds and contact police if they see anything suspicious.

Anyone with additional information regarding the incident can call UCPD at (310) 825-1491.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus