David Feinberg to step down as UCLA Health System CEO, president

The president and CEO of the UCLA Health System, Dr. David Feinberg, will take a position at the Geisinger Health System in Danville, Pa. (Courtesy of Morgan Glier)

By Daily Bruin

The president and CEO of the UCLA Health System, Dr. David Feinberg, will step down May 1, Chancellor Gene Block announced Monday.

Feinberg is leaving to take a position as the president and CEO of the Geisinger Health System in Danville, Pa., the email said. Feinberg could not be reached for comment for this article.

On March 1, Dr. John Mazziotta, who has been the associate vice chancellor for health sciences and executive vice dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA since 2012, will become vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine, which also includes serving as the CEO of the UCLA Health System.

Mazziotta said he and his colleagues have been discussing the change in leadership since mid-January, when Dr. A. Eugene Washington announced he would step down to work at the Duke University Health System. Mazziotta added that the shift is unrelated to the recent “superbug” outbreak at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

Mazziotta joined the faculty in 1983 and has directed the Ahmanson-Lovelace Brain Mapping Center since 1993, the email said. Additionally, he has served as chair of the UCLA Department of Neurology since 2002.

When he takes on the new position next month, Mazziotta said he and his colleagues plan to look to the manufacturer of the duodenoscopes linked to the superbug spread and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for guidance on how to sterilize the scopes more effectively. He said he and his team have already increased their scope sterilization procedures.

Compiled by Yael Levin, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin