Submission: UCLA working to familiarize study abroad programs to students

First lady Michelle Obama has called the benefits of study abroad “almost endless.” During a 2014 visit to China, she encouraged all college students to consider a term abroad. The experience of living and learning overseas, she noted, “is going to make you more marketable in the United States. More and more companies are realizing that they need people with experience around the world.” Growing up in a working class family, the first lady said she never considered studying abroad, and suggested that many young people struggling to pay for school today feel similarly. “That’s not acceptable, because study abroad shouldn’t just be for students from certain backgrounds,” she said.

We at the UCLA International Education Office couldn’t agree more. Universities such as ours must work to make study abroad accessible to all. We need to ensure that information about opportunities abroad is easy to find, that academic advisors across campus support the endeavor and help students secure the credit they need and that scholarships and financial aid are readily accessible. As a recent column in the Daily Bruin underscored, UCLA students do not always feel empowered or encouraged to go abroad. We want all Bruins to have access to the study abroad experience, and we have been leading efforts to increase awareness of UCLA’s programs and to work across campus to enhance the student experience both in preparation for and participation in their programs.

Approximately 20 percent of UCLA students study abroad during their undergraduate career, which is a testament to the global mindset of our student body as well as to the great programs and assistance available. Yet we recognize that more can be done, and we call on all parts of the UCLA community to consider how existing policies and practices can be improved so that even more students can reap the benefits of a truly international education.

There are numerous ways to study abroad while earning UC credit, maintaining degree progress and receiving financial support. The two primary options at UCLA are UCLA Summer Travel Study and University of California Education Abroad programs.

UCLA Summer Travel Study programs allow students to enroll directly in courses taught by distinguished UCLA faculty members. Each program is designed around an academic subject directly connected to the location of the program, thereby enhancing student learning through real-world experiences. Students seamlessly earn UCLA units, grades and course credit.

UCEAP allows students to study year-round with top partner universities. Students are guaranteed to earn UC units and grades on UCEAP. And they can also petition to have UCEAP coursework fulfill UCLA major, minor or GE requirements. Proper planning, individually and with departmental and college counselors, is essential during the application process to make sure that these requirements are fulfilled. For example, departments control major requirements, and so UCLA counselors cannot guarantee in advance of the program that a given course from UCEAP will satisfy a particular major requirement. But the barriers to fulfilling degree requirements are not as steep as commonly believed. Indeed, over 96 percent of past participants have been successful in obtaining the degree progress they had intended when applying to UCEAP.

The UCLA International Education Office has seasoned advisors to assist students in the process of study abroad, including guidance in selecting and applying to a program, course selection, financial planning and pre-departure preparations. But it is also important for students to show initiative in their study abroad pursuits. Planning ahead and following through are important components to a successful study abroad experience both academically and personally. We recommend four basic steps:

Research program details such as location, host university, cost, financial aid and scholarship opportunities and course offerings.

Consult with your study abroad advisor and academic counselors to understand how coursework will count toward your degree, your major and your GE requirements.

Apply to your preferred program, as well as any available scholarships, keeping in mind these applications could be due many months prior to the start of your program.

Prepare for living and studying abroad by reading all program information and attending pre-departure orientations.

We encourage all UCLA students to heed Michelle Obama’s advice about the great benefits that come from studying abroad. And we hope to see continued growth in the numbers of Bruins going overseas. Our nation and our world need graduates with a global perspective who are ready to address the most pressing problems of the 21st century. Studying abroad is still the best and most exciting way to earn this kind of experience!

Raustiala is the associate vice provost for International Studies and faculty director of the International Education Office. Dick is the executive director of the International Education Office. Broderick-Villa is the associate director for Study Abroad at the International Education Office.