USAC to vote on extensive election code reforms

By Jillian Frankel

The undergraduate student government will vote on extensive election code reforms, including official slate recognition, campaign spending limits and mandatory financial disclosure, at its meeting Tuesday.

The revisions come after controversies surrounding campaign spending and the Election Board’s regulation of slate activities in recent elections. Many of the changes are based on the election code of the UC Berkeley undergraduate student government.

“This is not an amended election code, this is a new election code,” said Election Board Chair Shagun Kabra, a third-year mathematics/economics student.

The changes require a two-thirds approval by the Undergraduate Students Association Council to pass. Anyone can weigh in on potential reforms at a public forum Tuesday in Kerckhoff 519 from 2-4 p.m. before the vote takes place.

Among numerous changes throughout the document, Kabra is proposing that candidates adhere to mandatory spending limits when running for council.

Under the proposed wording, Election Board chairs would set a spending cap of $800 to $950 for executive candidates and $650 to $800 for nonexecutive candidates each year. Currently, candidates can opt to adhere to voluntary spending limits, though just a few candidates who are typically running independently and unopposed choose to follow the limit.

The code would also set limits on slate spending and would require the full disclosure of campaign donations. In recent spring elections, each slate has spent between $6,000 and $11,000 to run its group of candidates.

To keep track of the funding in elections, the new code would establish a finance committee tasked with reviewing all expense accounts. The code would also make misstating details about all campaign finance aspects grounds for disqualification.

One major change in the code would be the Election Board’s official recognition of slates, or students who combine resources and run candidates on similar platforms. Though slates play a role in elections each year, the board has not recognized the groups previously.

“Everyone knows slates exist, so (adding the recognition) makes using the election code more feasible and brings it closer to reality,” Kabra said.

The amended code also explains how to establish slates and details the rules slates must follow, including registering as a student group and not receiving funding from the university.

USAC President Avinoam Baral said he supports additions that would codify the existence of slates.

“There’s already an understanding on campus that slates exist and it’s high time our election code reflects that knowledge,” Baral said.

The revisions would also address some logistical concerns that have come up in previous elections.

The code would require that the first day of voting for an election starts after 9 a.m. and the last day ends before 5 p.m. Kabra said this change was added for technological reasons, so if people voting online have difficulties doing so, they can be directed to the right resources during business hours on some days. The rest of the voting period would be continuous.

Councilmembers will vote on each election code reform separately at USAC’s Tuesday night meeting.

Compiled by Jillian Frankel, Bruin contributor.

Jillian Frankel