UCLA stem cell researchers receive national grants for $3.2M

By Ryan Leou

A California stem cell institute recently awarded two UCLA researchers a combined $3.2 million grant to further their work in stem cell-based therapies.

Dr. James Dunn and Dr. Hanna Mikkola from the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research received the Tools and Technology Award from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine, according to a Monday press release.

The Tools and Technology Award is given to scientists who develop new ways to address translational bottlenecks, or challenges that prevent promising research from reaching clinics as treatments incorporating stem cell therapies.

Dunn and Mikkola are two of 20 grant recipients nationwide.

Dunn’s research focuses on the potential uses of skin-derived stem cells to treat neuromuscular gastrointestinal diseases. His approach involves using reprogrammed stem cells from the patient’s skin to generate neural systems to correct intestinal dysfunction.

Mikkola is working to create tools to monitor key milestones in blood stem cell development from human stem cells. If successful, the project would create an unlimited source of patient-specific blood stem cells that could be used to treat blood diseases, such as leukemia or anemia.

The California Institute of Regenerative Medicine said its mission is to advance stem cell research and work to develop cures and therapies for chronic diseases and injuries.

Compiled by Ryan Leou, Bruin contributor.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor