Zoey Freedman: Medical confidentiality encourages students to get tested

By Zoey Freedman

More often than not the stigma that surrounds STI testing and other sexual and mental health services deters students from wanting to get tested or partake in these services.

The recently passed California Senate Bill 138 will allow dependents on health insurance policies to request confidentiality of certain medical services from the main insurance holder, serving as the first step in diminishing the stigma surrounding these services.

If desired, dependents, such as students on their parents’ health insurance policies, can file for confidentiality for sensitive services surrounding sexual and mental health. Dependents can also request confidentiality if they feel that the main insurance holder will bring them harm in any way.

Although the bill has only been in place since the beginning of the year, UCLA needs to prioritize educating students on this new option in order to take a step forward in breaking down the stigma that surrounds mental and sexual health services. Although UC SHIP already guarantees students confidentiality, students under private insurance do not have this promise.

Giving youth the option to take advantage of services covered by their health care, such as STI tests, pregnancy tests and mental health services, without the fear of their parents finding out could reduce the amount of youth choosing to go untested or to pay out of pocket for these services.

Students can easily apply for confidentiality online, and the main insurance holder has no way of knowing that confidentiality was requested by a dependent. After confidentiality is requested, any testing results or other information will be sent directly to the dependent rather than through the main policyholder.

Although the main policyholder – specifically parents – may not be fond of being out of the loop on their child’s health and what their insurance is being used for, they should realize that their child may be more likely to utilize the insurance and maintain their health if they are guaranteed confidentiality.

Rather than thinking about how their family will react or who will find out about their results or services, students can confidently seek medical services knowing that the privacy of their services and results is guaranteed. This in turn can begin the process of diminishing the negative connotation that often goes hand in hand with these private services.

SB 138 is a step forward in eliminating this stigma and reassuring young people that their services and results truly are private.

Zoey Freedman