Fashion Forward: Leather pieces are staples of any closet

By Aubrey Yeo and Alexis Williams

The fashion industry is one that constantly evolves and pushes different boundaries every day. On the personal level, the world of fashion is also open to interpretation, giving individuals a chance to reflect their personal style. Columnists Alexis Williams and Aubrey Yeo look at different topics in fashion, and find out what keeps fashion moving forward at UCLA. This week, they will focus on a constant staple: leather.

***

I never thought I’d see the day when my leopard print backpack would get pried off my shoulders. I always thought I’d bring it to my first job and pair it with my tuxedo for my wedding.

But over winter break, I discovered what would become my old backpack’s usurper. It’s angular and made of brown leather – that’s probably all the description I can give about it. It’s not anything out of the ordinary, but that’s what I really like about it. Yes, leather has been through several evolutions where it’s been studded, covered in paint or even dyed in shades of pastel, but when I think of leather, I always have the same image in my mind.

My paragon of a leather accessory is one that’s simple. It’ll be in a classic shade of brown or black and outfitted with accents of silver or gold metal that add a hint of a metallic sheen to its glossy, neutral exterior. It’s a classic look that’s existed since way before I was born, but one that’s endured the test of time. It’s a preference that’s shared by second-year mathematics/economics student Adrian White, who also looks for a contemporary appeal when selecting his leather pieces.

“I like the classic brown leather look,” White said. “I think it’s really nice. It’s also classy. It’s timeless and it’s one of those very classic looks, so I like that. It works with everything.”

There are, of course, some pretty avant-garde takes on the classic leather look, which I’ll admit I’m not immune to.

I’m in love with Coco Chanel’s classic pairing of quilted leather with metal. It’s a combination that won me over even when presented in the form of a black calf leather Moschino baseball cap, worn famously by British pop singer Rita Ora. The large metallic gold “MOSCHINO” that graces the front of the cap paired with the black quilted leather to me feels a lot like the throwback to the Chanel 2.55 handbag in its most iconic form – albeit reinvisioned as a hat.

But for fans of something more similar to the Chanel 2.55, there’s always the Moschino Black Quilted Nappa Leather Purse Top. And it even goes with Coco Chanel’s hands-free approach to handbags.

– By Aubrey Yeo, Bruin senior staff.

***

I grew up wishing I was a rocker chick.

I’ve since found out I most certainly can’t sing, but have turned my dreams of rocking leather on leather into a reality.

In the fashion world, leather is viewed as one of the most classic, versatile looks. From the highly desired – and highly unaffordable – Hermès handmade leather Birkin bag to 1980s Dr. Martens, leather is and always will be one of the most universal trends in existence.

There really is no wrong way to wear leather, but in true ’90s punk style, I tend to subscribe to the belief that leather looks best when paired with more leather.

My typical Friday night-out look consists of black patent leather pumps, black leather leggings, a black sheer blouse, black leather jacket and a deep purple matte lipstick – nothing screams grunge louder than Mac’s Cyber. While I admit my preferred look precariously rides the border between Hell’s Angels and All Saints, fashion is first and foremost about making yourself feel great, and, for me, nothing feels as great as being leather-clad.

The only real rule I follow when layering leather is to keep it all neutrals, preferably black, to avoid making an already daring ensemble too over the top. If I could afford the $1,200 price tag on the Iro Anabela blue leather jacket, I would pair it with black leather leggings, a simple white tee, and wear it every day for the foreseeable future. Until then, I use black leather options from more affordable designers like BCBG with white accents as my gold standard for leather-wear.

Kelly Morell, third-year Italian student with an English specialization, owns leather sweatpants, leather leggings, leather pants, a leather shirt and a leather jacket. Morell said she is a huge supporter of the leather on leather look, and just recently purchased three leather skirts in varying colors to pair with other black leather pieces.

I think that’s the thing about leather,” Morell said. “It’s so versatile you can wear it with literally anything. I’m all about leather with leather.”

While my preferred approach to leather is pairing it with itself, a truly well-structured leather pant, like J Brand’s Super Skinnies, holds enough merit to pull together an entire look all on its own.

Morell epitomized my love affair with leather perfectly.

“I would sleep in leather if I could,” Morell said.

– By Alexis Williams, Bruin reporter.

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus