Drake Stadium scoreboard to debut at track and field’s first home meet

A new, high-definition scoreboard was constructed at Drake Stadium over winter break. The $500,000 construction project will be officially unveiled with additional signage, panels and an inscription of Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 at UCLA track and field’s first home meet on March 24. (Max Himmelrich/Daily Bruin)

By Matt Joye

Drake Stadium will once again have a new look to it when UCLA track and field has its first home meet of the season March 24.

Last year, the new addition was a blue-and-gold Mondo track surface. This year, UCLA adds a high-definition color scoreboard, erected earlier this month.

The new scoreboard cost around $500,000 to construct, and is both wider and taller than its predecessor, said track and field director Mike Maynard. The scoreboard upgrade is included in part two of a three-phase Drake Stadium upgrade that began in 2013.

Though the new scoreboard screen has already been built and tested for weeks, Maynard said there are several more features that will be added before the Bruins’ first home dual meet, including signage and a Jackie Robinson commemorative panel.

Maynard said the signage on the new scoreboard will include everything the previous one had, and more.

web.sp.1.29.jumbotron.jpg
The Kathy Seider-Horton Memorial Scoreboard was torn down in December 2014 to make room for the new scoreboard. (Daily Bruin file photo)

There will once again be the large “Drake Stadium” signage on top, in addition to a backlit panel on the bottom with Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 inscribed.

“A lot of people don’t know that Jackie was a great track and field athlete as well; he was the NCAA champion in the long jump,” Maynard said.

Maynard added there will be an unveiling ceremony of Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 before UCLA’s first home meet, when Drake Stadium will officially be included in what is known as the Jackie Robinson Athletics and Recreation Complex at UCLA.

Maynard also noted the scoreboard’s impact will be felt outside of UCLA track meets, as UCLA’s men’s and women’s soccer teams will now be able to utilize video replay at their home games.

“I think it’s really gonna (take) the whole production of track and field and soccer just a huge step forward,” Maynard said.

Compiled by Matthew Joye, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.