UCLA asks staff, students to nominate 2015 Librarian of the Year

By Catherine Liberty Feliciano

UCLA is asking students, faculty and staff to nominate librarians for the 2015 Librarian of the Year Award.

The award, given by the Librarians Association of UCLA, recognizes a university librarian who has furthered the school’s teaching and research mission by tailoring his or her work to the campus’ needs, according to the press release asking for the nominations.

In the past, the Librarian of the Year has typically received an engraved clock, a plant and $500 in professional development funds.

All UCLA librarians who work at least half the full-time workload are eligible to receive the award.

Potential recipients will be evaluated based on their accomplishments in the last 12 to 18 months. Nominations must include letters of recommendation for the librarian that outline his or her accomplishments and impacts.

Submissions can also include supplementary materials such as websites, publications, descriptions of research and media coverage citing a candidate’s accomplishments on campus or in his or her field of study.

The Librarians Association of UCLA said candidates for the award should exemplify creativity, innovation, courage, leadership or scholarship, according to a press release.

The list of nominees will be kept confidential until the association announces the award’s recipient, which is typically in spring. All nominees will receive notification of their consideration and a list of reasons supporting their nomination.

Nominations can be submitted through an online form until Feb. 27. Supplementary materials should be emailed to the 2015 Librarian of the Year Award Committee chair and associate librarian Nora Avetyan.

Compiled by Catherine Liberty Feliciano, Bruin contributor.

Catherine Liberty Feliciano | Alumnus
Catherine Liberty Feliciano was a news reporter and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. She wrote stories about Westwood, research and student life. She dabbled in video journalism and frequently wrote #ThrowbackThursday blogs. Feliciano was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year.