Throwback Thursday: Winter Week 3

By Austin Yu

Bishop Desmond Tutu visited the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles, January 22, 1986 at a dinner commemorating King's birthday. "During his dinner speech, Tutu praised King for his idea of black liberation and his faith and courage to pursue them non-violently. But he doubted that South African blacks could find freedom from oppression using similar methods." - By Doug Nathan

(Hyungwon Kang/Daily Bruin)

On January 22, 1985, Student Regent, Fred Gaines, pitched a proposal at the UC Board of Regents meeting which would provide at least three options to present UC investment procedure in South Africa. The proposal was met with support by students from various organizations. "I think the reason the demonstrators are here is because they feel apartheid is wrong, and I agree with that," Gaines said. "I support them being here." - By Harry F. Rosenthal

(Stephen Jones/Daily Bruin)

Following the Watergate scandal, political science lecturer Joel Ish comments: "It's difficult to keep putting Watergate on page one in the midst of an energy crisis." He adds however "even if that weren't the case . . . there are going to be peaks and valleys of public attention." - By Larry Bone

(Glenn Seki/Daily Bruin)

Having faced only one inch of rain since April, the possibility of facing a record drought in Los Angeles was very possible in January 22, 1976: "The current record for lack of rain in this city is held in the period from April of 1962 to January of 1963 when only .66 of an inch of rain fell in the LA basin. When this situation was relieved, however, 8.43 inches of rain fell from that following February to the end of April." - By Ker Garin

(Daily Bruin File Photo/Daily Bruin)

Austin Yu | Alumnus