Urban Confections: Beverly Hills creperie offers organic, take-out style crepes

At Beverly Hills’ Harajuku Crepe, a Japanese-style creperie with largely organic crepes to go, visitors can chose from a variety of toppings as well as pre-designed combinations, like the strawberry cheesecake crepe (pictured above). (Alyssa Dorn/Daily Bruin)

By Lindsay Weinberg

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

Los Angeles is home to numerous dessert shops that feature a range of treats from cupcakes to doughnuts to shakes. Urban Confections will select dessert restaurants whose only West Coast location is Los Angeles, highlighting students’ opportunities to taste the city’s distinctive flavors. Follow columnist Lindsay Weinberg around Los Angeles as she samples local confections and suggests how students can take advantage of these iconic desserts.

Two blocks from Rodeo Drive, a Beverly Hills street is home to palm trees and a white building with large glass arches. Beyond one arch lies Harajuku Crepe, a Japanese-style creperie that boasts mostly organic crepes to go.

Because the creperie is tucked into a large building with a simple, unnoticeable storefront, I almost walked past the shop; however, it is too upscale to be considered a hole-in-the-wall joint. The layout reminded me of modern frozen yogurt chains – it’s tiny and cozy with subtle lime green walls and shiny, clean surfaces.

Harajuku Crepe, like frozen yogurt shops, offers custom desserts. Curious foodies choose from options in each category: crepe batter, fruits, cream, sauces and ice cream. Every aspect adds a little more to the overall cost, layering to a final price of around $5 each depending on the extravagance. Posters also display pre-envisioned combinations, including the hot chocolate, apple cinnamon, strawberry cheesecake and nutty banana crepes.

One aspect that distinguishes Harajuku Crepe is its integration of mochi – or Japanese-style sticky rice – powder inside of the crepe batter. This concoction professes to change the crepe texture to be crispy, yet elastic enough to roll up like a burrito.

Japan’s influence may also be seen in the in the choices of green tea or earl grey batter, Azuki bean or mochi toppings and green tea ice cream. Sweet dessert choices are also available.

Desiring the full Japanese crepe experience, I instantly opted for earl grey batter, mochi, whipped cream and green tea ice cream to fill the crevices of my dessert crepe. An employee poured the batter onto a flat, circular grill right in front of my eyes, and the liquid quickly sizzled into a thin pizza-sized crepe. The pancake, large in size yet light in mass, was adorned with my preferred toppings in wedge-shaped sections of the crepe. Once the tasty fillings were in place, the crepe was rolled up and folded into the shape of a massive ice cream cone, handed to me like a Greek gyro, ready to go.

Though its crepes are take-out style – perhaps for Beverly Hills residents with unimaginably hectic lives – Harajuku Crepe provides a few tables and chairs for indoor seating, which is where I dove into my oozing delicacy.

My warm, custom creation was mild, hinting at the herbal tastes of the tea flavors. Even as someone who typically likes mochi, I found the marble-sized balls of chewy rice to be startling within my otherwise creamy crepe. It wasn’t overwhelming in sweetness since I had not chosen a rich chocolate-based treat, a characteristic that might be positive for those that want an airy and distinct dessert.

Pre-designed crepe combinations on the menu play-off of classic desserts. Filled with nutella, whipped cream and marshmallow, the hot chocolate crepe gave off a deep aroma of true, creamy hot chocolate, ideal for s’more lovers. The smash hit of my excursion was the strawberry cheesecake crepe, which dressed the soft dough with strawberry, nutella, coconut and cheesecake bits. This complementing combination of cocoa and strawberries rendered it a delightful blend of heavy luxury and bright fruit.

Atmospherically, the creperie was modern and sleek as the crystal chandelier nodded to the surrounding neighborhood. However, it’s not a Los Angeles hot spot for tourists or those seeking a memorable experience of a day out on the town. Harajuku Crepe’s highlights, rightfully, were the treats themselves, with a range of choices between personalized or pre-designed crepes and unlikely combinations of Japanese flavors, organic fruit and rich chocolate.

Lindsay Weinberg

What’s your favorite crepe combination? Email Weinberg at [email protected]

Correction: Harajuku Crepe offers custom desserts, not deserts.

Lindsay Weinberg | prime content editor
Weinberg is the prime content editor. She was previously the A&E editor and the assistant A&E editor for the lifestyle beat.