UC announces new sustainability fellowship, internship program

By Melyssa Cruz

UCLA will receive $7,500 from the University of California Office of the President for a new sustainability fellowship and internship program announced Wednesday.

The program will award $7,500 to each UC campus, as well as the Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. The UC Office of the President said it hopes to distribute awards starting in late February, according to its press release.

The project is meant to support the University’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative, which aims to make the UC carbon-neutral by 2025.

Each campus will select one award recipient to facilitate local student engagement and communications for the UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative. The awards are open to both undergraduate and graduate students.

The program was modeled after the UC’s Global Food initiative fellowship program, in which 54 students were each awarded $2,500 to pursue food sustainability projects, including food pantries and biological pest control.

UC President Janet Napolitano said in the press release that she hopes the program will prompt students to take action on climate issues.

“It is essential that we harness the passion and creative energy of our students as we look for new ways to reduce the carbon footprint of our campuses, our communities, our country and the world,” Napolitano said.

Compiled by Melyssa Cruz, Bruin contributor.

Melyssa Cruz