Westwood sees changes in restaurant, business locations

The new space for 901Westwood.com, a UCLA apparel and accessory store at the intersection of Westwood Boulevard and Kinross Avenue, is twice as big and has a larger selection of blue and gold merchandise for UCLA students. (Heidy Cadena/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Andrea Henthorn

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

In recent months, business owners have spent millions of dollars making changes to their stores in Westwood, from renovating California Pizza Kitchen to building a new UPS Store to moving the apparel store 901Westwood.com to a larger space.

California Pizza Kitchen

After a brief closure over winter break, the newly renovated California Pizza Kitchen features several new menu options and redesigned “natural” decor to further integrate California cuisine and a more sustainable environment.

The California Pizza Kitchen on Broxton Avenue is one of the first of several Southern California restaurants in the chain to take on the new menu, which features a “Harvest Kale Salad” and “Hearth-Roasted Halibut.”

According to the press release on the renovation, the materials used in the renovation are sustainable. Some of these features are walls, tables and doors made from reclaimed wood, and “tree-free” paper products.

“We want our guests to have a real, human experience where we make a genuine connection with each person,” said California Pizza Kitchen CEO G.J. Hart in the press release.

Included in the new physical design are also several photos featuring landmarks of the UCLA campus.

UPS Store

web.ns.1.8.stores.ups.HC.jpg
A new UPS location opened Nov. 17 on Westwood Boulevard. (Heidy Cadena/Daily Bruin senior staff)

A new UPS location opened Nov. 17 on Westwood Boulevard.

UPS spokesman David Crump said that he thinks it is an ideal location because of its proximity to campus.

“The more options, the better for both on-campus and off-campus students,” he said.

UPS Stores offer students packing, shipping, notary, printing, mailbox services, banners, posters and moving supplies for people moving at the end of quarters.

The location will also be set to accommodate 3D printing.

901Westwood.com

The new space for 901Westwood.com, a UCLA apparel and accessory store at the intersection of Westwood Boulevard and Kinross Avenue, is twice as big and has a larger selection of blue and gold merchandise for UCLA students.

Sandra Matar, the store manager, said the grand reopening of the store after a seven-month closure of their original location on Le Conte Avenue was made possible through long-standing relationships with UCLA students and affiliates over the 12 years the store has been in Westwood. The store opened at its original location in 2003.

“We established a relationship with customers, football players and families from the UCLA hospital,” Matar said.

The store was already trying to expand before it closed in March, and when it reopened Nov. 7, the managers secured a space twice as large to accommodate more merchandise. Among the new merchandise are many more adidas products.

The store also featured a name change with the new location, from 901Westwood to 901Westwood.com, as it intends to add its online store in the future.

Correction: David Crump is a UPS spokesman, not store manager.

Andrea Henthorn | Alumna
Henthorn was the Enterprise Content editor from 2017-2018. She was previously a News reporter.