Freshman linebacker Zach Whitley withdraws from UCLA

Freshman linebacker Zach Whitley (right) withdrew from UCLA on Monday. Whitley was a four-star recruit who chose to come to Westwood last year after originally committing to play at Alabama. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Matt Joye

This post was updated on Jan. 7 at 5:35 p.m.

Freshman linebacker Zach Whitley withdrew from school Monday, UCLA Athletics announced.

Whitley did not participate in practices for the Valero Alamo Bowl and did not make the trip to San Antonio for the game. In nine games played this season, Whitley registered one tackle.

Whitley was an early enrollee last January, training with the team in the offseason and during spring practices. He was a four-star recruit who flipped to UCLA after initially committing to the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Whitley was ranked as the No. 88 recruit in the nation by rivals.com, No. 54 by scout.com and No. 192 by ESPN.com. 

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.