Student-led group to hold furniture drive for the previously homeless

By Laurel Scott

Dec. 15, 2014 2:44 a.m.

Instead of throwing out unwanted furniture, students can donate their possessions this week to Furnish the Homeless, a student-led charity group that is holding a furniture drive.

Founded in 2012 by three UCLA students, Furnish the Homeless collects gently used furniture from students and donates it to previously homeless individuals in transitional housing programs.

Amir Hakimi, a fourth-year neuroscience student and one of the founders of Furnish the Homeless, said he thinks couches are probably the most useful item students can donate, though the program collects all types of furniture.

Hakimi said that that the group is also collecting Christmas decorations and toys for families that are transitioning out of homelessness.

Since 2012, the group has helped furnish 28 different houses in the greater Los Angeles community with nearly 200 donated items, according to the organization’s website.

Furnish the Homeless is currently working with about 13 people transitioning out of homelessness whose case workers have contacted the program seeking donations for the holiday season, Hakimi said.

“We’re hoping to furnish everyone, but it all depends on the number of donations we get,” Hakimi said.

Students looking to donate can call or text 559-366-2831, or schedule a furniture pickup on the group’s website.

Compiled by Laurel Scott, Bruin contributor.

Laurel Scott