UCLA research project selected for Research Catalyst Award

By Andrea Henthorn

Dec. 11, 2014 1:59 a.m.

Four UCLA-related research projects were named Wednesday as recipients of the President’s Research Catalysts Awards, a $10 million initiative by University of California President Janet Napolitano to promote research projects across UC campuses.

The award recipients include UCLA assistant professor Sean Young, whose research project on using data in social media to answer questions of health, poverty and social justice will receive $300,000.

UCLA is involved in four of the five research initiatives selected for awards: the project led by Young, and another three projects which will take place at other UC campuses with UCLA working as a contributing university.

The awards were designed to promote research in areas that can benefit California and the rest of the world, according to a UC press release. The three-year initiative aims to focus on improving areas such as sustainability and climate, food and nutrition, equity and social justice, education innovation and health care in California.

Compiled by Andrea Henthorn, Bruin contributor.

Andrea Henthorn | Alumna
Henthorn was the Enterprise Content editor from 2017-2018. She was previously a News reporter.