Miles to Go: Cross training offers an alternative to high-impact excercises

Weekly Training Regimen
  • Tuesday 2 miles
  • Wednesday 3 miles
  • Thursday 2.5 miles
  • Saturday 5.5 miles

By Katie Shepherd

Editor’s Note: Over the next 17 weeks, assistant news editor Katie Shepherd will be training for the Asics L.A. Marathon and writing a weekly column chronicling her experiences along the way. She’ll be reporting on the science and health aspects of endurance training as well as featuring students and L.A. residents who are taking on similar races this year.

I’ve run almost 40 miles so far in my training for the L.A. Marathon in March.

Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, my feet pound the pavement for two, three or four miles.

But on Sundays from now on, I’m doing something different, but just as important as running.

I’m giving my tired feet and knees a break from their high-impact exercise by practicing cross training.

Cross training for a marathon can be any aerobic exercise that maintains fitness besides running. Using an elliptical machine, dancing, yoga, water running and playing other sports are all viable options for cross training.

Different exercises help prevent injury and maintain strength in muscles that support running but don’t necessarily gain strength through running alone. It also breaks up the monotony of running each day.

According to Runner’s World, which publishes regular articles and advice for marathon runners, cross training should mimic running as closely as possible, without the impact that pounding the pavement brings.

My favorite types of cross training are biking and swimming.

Riding a bike is a lot less harmful to joints than running because the motion of pedaling a bike happens much more smoothly and the strain on the bones is less harsh.

With swimming, the benefit is even more pronounced. The water cushions the impact of every motion, so while the workout is really tough, it isn’t damaging to bones or tendons.

As I’ve written before, being cautious about consistent impact on joints is a key component in preventing common marathon injuries like runner’s knee.

There’s also some freedom in the weekend bike rides and swims ahead of me, because I’m not restricted by mile counts. I can bike for two miles or for eight. I can swim for 15 minutes or an hour. It’s up to me and how I’m feeling.

Katie Shepherd