Man detained in connection with library theft of 55 MacBook laptops

By Sam Hoff

University police detained a man Tuesday in connection with the recent theft of 55 MacBook laptops from the Charles E. Young Research Library.

A student called police about 1 p.m. Tuesday after he saw a man in the John Wooden Center wearing UCLA sweatpants and blue shoes, which matched surveillance photos of the suspect that were posted online after the theft on Saturday.

Police detained the man soon after and are currently investigating the case, said Lee Finch, a UCPD officer.

Finch added that no more information is immediately available because of the ongoing investigation.

Police said the laptops were stolen from an equipment loan room on the ground floor of the library, which is part of the Campus Library Instructional Computing Commons.

Using a blunt object, a man smashed an east-facing window and then smashed the window on a door to a room where laptops are held, university officials said. He left the room with three roller suitcases and a shoulder bag about 15 minutes later, police said.

The stolen laptops, about half of the computers in the equipment room, were worth about $33,000, university officials said.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus