Submission: Both sides of Israeli-Palestinian conflict must engage in dialogue

By Arielle Yael

I believe each and every one of us has a story, a story worth sharing and a story worth being heard.

So here is mine.

I am an American Jew of Iranian descent. My parents fled from Iran in the 1970s following the Islamic Revolution. Many members of my family sought refuge here in the United States. Others reestablished themselves in the state of Israel.

Israel has always held a very special place in my heart. Beyond its historical and religious significance, it is the home of some of the most important people in my life. It is the place where I found my voice and was inspired to use it.

Solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has always of the utmost importance to me. Before enrolling at UCLA, I was warned by many students regarding the ensuing tension surrounding this conflict on our campus. But then I thought, how bad could it really be?

Last week was Palestine Awareness Week. I would be lying if I said I had never heard or seen photographs of the “Mock Apartheid Wall,” which is set up on campuses across the country each year. But, I thought, how can I expect these students to listen to my story, if I don’t take the time to listen to theirs? So I did.

I had walked by the display three times before mustering up the courage to introduce myself to one of the representatives by the wall. Finally, I introduced myself. Almost instantly, her eyes darted to my necklace, a golden Jewish star, and to my “UCLA-Israel” pin. Her first question was, “Are you on the Bruins for Israel board?” In that moment, I was forced to make a decision to either hide my identity as a pro-Israel student or to be honest and run the risk of this student writing me off.

In the split second it took me to make my decision, she had already made hers. My curiosity was unwarranted and unworthy of her time. I was no longer a mind she could change, and because of that, she had no reason to engage with me, so she didn’t. Instantly, she turned away from me and engaged with another student.

I don’t share this story to attack that student or the group she represents. I share this story because it is indicative of a culture we have allowed to fester on our campus for far too long. Every year, students line up on their respective side of the battlefield and fight; the entire conflict is distilled to a “us versus them” mentality. We engage in behavior that is dishonorable to the peaceful solution we all seek. Our current course of action is toxic and will only lead to our mutual destruction.

I am only five weeks into my UCLA career, and I am already exhausted. I am tired of feeling like I have to walk around campus while being on the defensive. I am tired of my mom telling me not to wear my necklace because she’s afraid it will limit my opportunities. I am tired of not being seen as a person, but as a representative of a cause.

I am not content with being a part of this war. I am done fighting. I am done arguing. I am done debating. I am not content with living in a state of war with you. That is not why I came to UCLA.

I came to UCLA to meet other students like myself who understand what it means to be passionate about something. I came to UCLA to work with students who are just as determined about leaving a positive legacy on this campus as I am. I came to UCLA to define myself, not to let others define me.

I want to know you, not as manifestations of a viewpoint that is different than mine, but as students who are just as passionate about bringing peace to the people of Israel and Palestine and the greater Middle East, as I am. And I sincerely hope that you want to get to know me, too.

Let’s put down the resolutions. Let’s cast away the animosity. Let’s tear down the walls. Let’s talk.

Tell me your names. What are you most afraid of? What are your dreams?

Peace takes two. Compromise takes two. Conversations take two. Understanding takes two.

I’m in, are you?

Yael is a first-year, undeclared social sciences student and the director of public relations for Bruins for Israel.

Arielle Yael