Indus celebration brings flavors of South Asia to UCLA

Diwali and Eid Celebration Ackerman Grand Ballroom Friday 6 p.m.

By Zachary Lemos

The student organization Indus will celebrate two South Asian holidays this weekend, Diwali and Eid, with a night of free food, performances and dancing.

The celebration will take place Friday in Ackerman Grand Ballroom at 6 p.m.

Indus is a South Asian cultural organization that seeks to promote unity among the countries, religions and cultures of South Asia. South Asia is a region that includes India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal, among other nations.

Rafay Haseeb, Indus founder and president, said the group name refers to the Indus River in South Asia, the birthplace of South Asian civilization.

Diwali, known as the “Festival of Lights,” is a Hindu holiday that celebrates the triumph of good over evil and light over darkness. The Islamic holiday of Eid, or Eid-al-Adha, celebrates the end of the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca.

The two holidays are celebrated in similar ways, so Indus celebrates them together, said Haseeb, a second-year political science student. Both holidays emphasize feast, prayer and community during the darkest days of the year.

The night will begin with a three-course South Asian dinner. During the meal, Indus members will give a presentation on the history of the two holidays and their significance in South Asian culture.

UCLA dance troupes Nashaa, Taara, Bruin Bhangra, Bataaka Nu Shaak and Naya Zamaana will perform during the dinner.

These groups show many of the dance forms in South Asia, from modern Bollywood to classical styles like Raas, Haseeb said.

After dinner, the ballroom will open up for dancing.

Representatives from three South Asian charities will attend the event, Haseeb said. Each is affiliated with one of the three major South Asian religions: Hinduism, Islam and Sikhism.

“This event really showcases what our mission is,” he said. “Success is a willingness to put differences aside and celebrate as South Asians and as humans.”

Compiled by Zachary Micheli, Bruin contributor.

Zachary Lemos