GSA vice president of internal affairs candidates released

By Katie Shepherd

The graduate student government announced Wednesday the three candidates hoping to fill the vice president of internal affairs seat.

Heidi Alexander, Milan Chatterjee and Matthew FitzGerald are running for the position. Each candidate had to be nominated by at least 50 graduate students.

Alexander, a graduate student in the UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture, is currently the president of the GSA board representing her department.

Alexander said her main goal for the position is to generate more co-programming opportunities between various graduate school representatives. She added that she wants to help make students more aware of the resources available to them on campus and through GSA.

Chatterjee is a second-year student in the UCLA School of Law and the current GSA director of Discretionary Funding.

He said he is part of a new slate called “Team GSA,” and is dedicated to promoting greater collaboration among student organizations and academic programs. He said he also plans to improve the efficiency of GSA as a governing body.

FitzGerald, a first-year student in the UCLA School of Law, said his priorities lie in protecting student rights and getting graduate students more involved with GSA. As a first-year at UCLA, he said he has not been involved with campus politics, but was a student senator for the University of Washington student government as an undergraduate.

The vice president of internal affairs seat was left vacant after Hope McCoy resigned from office on Sept. 18. McCoy stepped down to pursue research at Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia and to work on a book with other students.

GSA forum members will vote on the candidates at their forum meeting Nov. 12.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd, Bruin senior staff and Joseph Vescera, Bruin contributor. Contributing reports by Norma Reyes.

Katie Shepherd