UC reverses decision to pull funding from Lick Observatory

By Laurel Scott

The University of California overturned its decision to pull funding from the University’s Lick Observatory by 2018, according to a statement from UC Provost and Executive Vice President Aimée Dorr.

The UC has not increased funding for the Mount Hamilton observatory for the last five years, despite multiple reports recommending an increase. In September 2013, the UC Office of the President announced its plan to stop funding the observatory to redirect the money to newer astronomy facilities, including the W. M. Keck Observatory and the Thirty Meter Telescope in Hawaii.

Researchers and observatory supporters created a group called the Friends of Lick Observatory in 2012 in response to the observatory’s financial uncertainty. The group raises funds to maintain the observatory, which was established in 1888, and make it more visible to the public.

In her letter, Dorr said she thinks the observatory is a valuable part of the UC’s leadership in astronomy, and that funding its projects would not hinder the UC’s other astronomy goals.

The observatory supports various research programs for UC faculty, researchers and students. About 35,000 people visit it every year.

Compiled by Laurel Scott, Bruin contributor.

Laurel Scott