Almuni, philanthropists donate $2M to UCLA School of Dentistry

By Rupan Bharanidaran

Two UCLA alumni recently donated $2 million to the UCLA School of Dentistry.

The donation from philanthropists Bob and Marion Wilson establishes the Bob and Marion Wilson Endowed Scholarship Fund, which will be used to increase scholarship funding for future dentistry students.

This gift is the largest the school of dentistry has ever received for its scholarship fund, according to a UCLA press release.

According to the statement, the school typically awards an average of $3 million per year in scholarships and grants to its students. This gift from the Wilsons will help increase that amount.

Bob Wilson is currently serving on the dean’s Centennial Campaign cabinet for UCLA. The campaign is a large fundraising drive coinciding with the university’s 100th anniversary in 2019.

The Wilsons’ many contributions to UCLA culminated with the dedication of the Wilson Plaza in their honor in 2000. They were also awarded the UCLA Medal, the university’s highest honor, in 2006.

Compiled by Rupan Bharanidaran, Bruin contributor.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.