Saturday, March 30, 2024

Editorial: Business groups’ hostility toward Westwood Food Truck Lot unwarranted

By Editorial Board

Since the Westwood Village Food Truck Lot was established in July, on the corner of Gayley and Le Conte avenues, it has received excessive backlash from local business groups, such as the Westwood Community Council. The food trucks were offered an ultimatum by the city; either comply with city codes or vacate the premises by Oct. 25.

As of today the food trucks remain in the lot. The trucks should certainly be required to comply with city codes but the antagonism shown by local businesses amounts to protectionism, plain and simple.

Food trucks have long been a contentious subject of debate, since they often draw business away from nearby brick-and-mortar establishments. Yet, competition is a crucial aspect of any thriving economy, and Westwood Village will ultimately benefit from their presence.

Westwood businesses have suffered considerably in the past few years. According to data collected by the Westwood Community Council, more than 100 businesses have closed in Westwood Village since February 2010.

So failing businesses in Westwood cannot be blamed on the food truck lot, which has only been open since July 2014.

Instead of viewing food trucks as parasites, they should be seen as a potential boom to the Village economy. According to IBISWorld, an industry and business based market research organization, the food truck industry is worth more than $800 million and has grown despite economic downturns.

In a blighted economy, food trucks offer a novel business idea to attract consumers and create jobs.

While it is true that the owners of the lot did not comply with all of the city codes, including obtaining parking permits, paving their lot and adding parking spaces, Westwood business interests have been unfairly antagonistic toward food trucks and seem to have been invested in their failure from the start.

Furthermore, many of the arguments for food trucks promoting unfair competition in Westwood Village are misleading. One such argument is that the food trucks do not pay their fair share toward the Westwood Village Improvement Association, or the Business Improvement District, which provides security and maintains the streets of Westwood Village.

But Barry Beitler, the owner of the lot where the food trucks park, pays the BID a fee for a vacant lot.

Andrew Thomas, the executive director of the BID, said they do not assess fees for trucks. The BID does not take trucks into account. Local business interests are taking advantage of the lack of clarity around the rules to try and drive out a perceived threat.

Westwood Village business interests should work to maintain the safety and health of community members, but the hostility they have shown toward the food trucks reflects a concern for their own interests more than for those of the community.

Editorial Board