UCLA ranked eighth-best university in the world

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

UCLA was ranked the eighth-best university in the world in the first U.S. News and World Report Best Global Universities rankings released Monday night.

The rankings listed 500 universities from 49 countries, including seven other University of California schools .

In September, UCLA was ranked the 23rd-best university in the nation in the annual U.S. News and World Report college rankings.

This ranking measured overall academic research and reputation, instead of undergraduate academic reputation and freshman retention rates.

Universities had to rank in the top 200 universities in the Thomson Reuters global reputation survey and publish a large number of articles in the last five years.

In addition to overall performance, UCLA ranked highly for its global research, cited papers and programs for mathematics, psychiatry, psychology, social sciences and public health.

Among the top 10 universities world-wide were Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, UC Berkeley and Stanford University.

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Bruin contributor.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.