Submission: Bruin Diversity Referendum’s popularity signifies future success

By Special To The Daily Bruin

Advocating for diversity-related initiatives has historically been a quiet yet daunting task in higher education. Even more challenging is the process of aligning different campaigns for a larger diversity movement.

Nonetheless, 2014 has marked an unprecedented shift in the legitimization of diversity-related issues at UCLA, particularly due to students refusing to be silent. We are loud. And we are unafraid to be impactful with this movement.

The Bruin Diversity Referendum is an example of this.

Although some, including individuals at the Daily Bruin, may insist that falling short of the 20 percent threshold for voter turnout marks failure, it is a mistake to overlook the numbers that reflect the voters who did participate.

With 58.2 percent of votes in favor of the Bruin Diversity Referendum, it is clear that an overwhelming majority of voters view diversity-related issues as significant aspects of life at UCLA that must be supported and improved.

Additionally, the Bruin Diversity Referendum garnered the most total participatory votes as well as the second-highest in-favor vote count out of any other initiative or candidate on the ballot. Therefore, it is not accurate to simply frame this election as a moment of failure.

That is a statement worth remembering.

Campaigners of the Bruin Diversity Referendum were also crucial in engaging students to participate, arguably increasing voter turnout in ways that other campaigns and the Election Board lacked.

Although the university’s mandated threshold for voter turnout – implemented recently in 2007 – ultimately blocked the passage of the Bruin Diversity Referendum and the recognition of student calls for diversity, this election marks a pivotal occasion for mobilizing our peers, colleagues and friends to promote much-needed highlighting of these issues.

The conversation does not end here. The campaigning does not end here either.

Moving forward, the communities that initiated the Bruin Diversity Referendum will continue advocating this week for the passage of the diversity requirement in the College of Letters and Science. Throughout fall quarter and as far back as the last diversity requirement attempt two years ago, our communities have worked equally behind the scenes and at the forefront to achieve such historical change.

Garnering strength from the clear undergraduate commitment to diversity displayed in Friday’s election, we will remain dynamic in defending student voices at all levels of diversity competence at UCLA.

We have stated it before and we will state it here again: 2014 is a time when diversity is finally being legitimized as an issue that needs to be improved and supported. Most importantly, it is capable of being pursued right now.

The Bruin Diversity Referendum may not have passed all barriers despite winning a majority of votes, but its existence signifies larger victories in our near future.

Let us all utilize that groundwork to pass the diversity requirement.

Evelyn Tran is president of the Vietnamese Student Union. Live Maluia is president of the Pacific Islands Students Association. Jazz Kiang is the director of the Asian Pacific Coalition. Lila Reyes is chair of the Campus Retention Committee. Luis Sanchez is the internal chair of the Community Programs Office Student Association. Miriam Rodriguez is the chair of the Student Initiated Outreach Committee. Wali Kamal is the president of the Muslim Student Association. Hayley Iwig is the president and retention coordinator for the American Indian Student Association.

Special To The Daily Bruin