Creative Halloween costume ideas

(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

By Natalie Green and Maryrose Kulick

Halloween means different things for different people. Regardless of preference between tricks or treats, Halloween poses a creative challenge: costumes.

This Halloween, Daily Bruin A&E; hopes to provide students with some creative ideas for those with costume concept block. Whether you’re desiring to be a dream duo or flying solo, come one and all for a day of false identity.

Disclaimer: Sorry in advance for the hackneyed efforts at these looks – they were created with only things on hand in a dorm room.

Popeye and Olive Oyl

web.ae.10.27.costumes.popeye.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

Own any black and red clothing? Want to show off your muscles and boast a pipe for the day? Then these iconic cartoon characters might be just the thing. For Popeye, make a simple sailor hat out of paper and wear blue jeans with a black polo. For Olive Oyl, wear a red sweater and black skirt with tied-up or curled hair. For those wanting to go the extra mile, tote around a can of spinach and draw on an anchor tattoo.

Sherlock Holmes, a la Benedict Cumberbatch

web.ae.10.27.costumes.sherlock.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

A pop culture reference for those who are up to date with the BBC miniseries, try out Sherlock and feel free to walk around with your best friend as Watson, if he or she is willing to play the ultimate sidekick. The costume is simple: a big, dark overcoat with an easily upturned collar and a loosely knotted scarf. Toss on a deerstalker cap, or something similar, if one is at the ready. Always act aloof, preferably with a British accent.

Charlie Brown and Snoopy

web.ae.10.27.costumes.snoopy.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

For comic fans, there’s one iconic “Peanuts” pair that comes to mind: a boy and his canine best friend. Scrounge up black or brown shorts, a pair of Converse and a yellow shirt, and then proceed to draw with a Sharpie – or tape – a wide zigzag on the shirt. Snoopy needs a drawn-on nose, a pair of floppy ears – or a creative pigtail hairstyle – and a solid black-and-white outfit.

Silent Film Star

web.ae.10.27.costumes.silentfilm.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

Get classy with this costume, and make it look like you’ve stepped out of a 1920s movie. Dress in all black-and-white clothing and wear gray makeup. To hide that summer tan, find some thick sunscreen or gray face paint and smother it pretty much anywhere skin is exposed. Baby powder also works great on hair that isn’t already dark. To really pull off this look, walk around with a poster of your dialogue for the night because there’s no time for talking in a silent film.

Jim and Pam from “The Office”

web.ae.10.27.costumes.office.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

Win the “cutest couple” costume award with a costume based on the iconic TV couple: Jim and Pam Halpert from NBC’s “The Office.” For Jim, roll up the sleeves of a white button-down shirt and throw on some slacks and a loose tie. For Pam, sport the receptionist look with a button-down shirt, a sweater and a pencil skirt. Hairstyles are quick and easy for each – Jim’s hair is slightly tousled and Pam’s is curled and pinned in a half-up style. Make sure no one thinks you’re just two simple office workers, though. Carry a ream of Dunder Mifflin paper to complete the look.

Steve and Blue from “Blue’s Clues”

web.ae.10.27.costumes.bluesclues.MRK.jpg
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

Remember how much you loved “Blue’s Clues” as a kid? To relive your childhood, just locate a green striped shirt for Steve and a pair of khaki pants, a belt and his ever-handy notebook and crayon. For Blue, wear a light blue outfit and cover it with darker blue spots, again with either Sharpie or paper. Blue paper dog ears can easily be attached to a headband to finish off the costume. For some added fun, cut out some blue paw prints to make Steve and your friends hunt for clues.

Natalie Green