GSA to hold election to fill vice president of internal fairs position

By Kendal Mitchell

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

The graduate student government unanimously approved a two-week-long election calendar Wednesday night to fill the vice president of internal affairs position.

Hope McCoy, who was elected Graduate Students Association vice president of internal affairs in spring, resigned from the position last month after accepting a research job at Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia. McCoy was one of four elected GSA officers.

The election will run from Nov. 4 to Nov. 12. To fill the position, GSA forum delegates will vote for the vice president of internal affairs at their next meeting. The elected officer will assume the office immediately.

Members of GSA also had to approve an interim elections commissioner Wednesday after Luke Gerard Smith, who was chosen to be election commissioner in May, decided not to re-enroll at UCLA this year.

The election commissioner is responsible for ensuring that elections are fair and timely, and for informing the graduate student body about elections.

GSA members approved Chad Henderson, GSA director of events, as the interim elections commissioner for the upcoming election. Henderson is a nursing graduate student.

Applications for the vice president of internal affairs position will be available on the GSA website tomorrow and are due Nov. 4 at 3 p.m.

Complied by Kendal Mitchell, Bruin staff.

Correction: Luke Gerard Smith was chosen to be election commissioner in May and decided not to re-enroll at UCLA this year.

Kendal Mitchell