USAC recap – Oct. 14

By Kendal Mitchell

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• USAC approved contingency programming allocations with a 9-0-1 vote.
  • Council unanimously approved the 2014 fall special election ballot. It will have two contested councilmember positions, two referendums and a USAC constitutional amendment.
  • USAC approved new language for the constitutional amendment referendum that will be on the USAC special election ballot next week 10-0-0.

Special Presentations

• Raja Bhattar, director of the UCLA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Campus Resource Center, made a presentation about funding for the center. He said he thinks the Bruin Diversity Referendum would help subsidize the center’s funding, especially after several grants the center relies on expire at the end of the year.
  • Alfred Herrera, director of UCLA’s Center for Community College Partnerships, spoke about how the Bruin Diversity Referendum will positively impact programs for transfer students and peer mentors in the Los Angeles area.
  • Community Programs Office director Tony Sandoval talked about the department’s funding and overall budget. He said if the Bruin Diversity Referendum passes, the office hopes to use the funds to increase student staff hours and programming opportunities.
  • USAC Academic Affairs Commissioner Allyson Bach and Jazz Kiang, a third-year Asian American studies student who is spearheading the referendum’s campaign, presented about the diversity requirement, which faculty members will vote on from Oct. 24-31.

Officer Reports

• USAC President Devin Murphy said he will propose a resolution for council to vote on in the coming weeks to support Proposition 47. He also said he spoke with Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Janina Montero about creating and structuring a UCPD oversight committee.
  • Internal Vice President Avinoam Baral said the contract for Circle of 6, a mobile application that would allow users to quickly access six emergency contacts, was signed last Friday.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Allyson Bach said her office will focus on pushing the passage of the diversity requirement until it goes to a vote.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich said the Bruin’s Day Off event will take place Oct. 23 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Intramural Field.

Appointments

• Carina Ventura, a fourth-year political science student, was unanimously approved to be a member of the Community Activities Committee.

Compiled by Kendal Mitchell, Bruin staff.

Kendal Mitchell