Second Take: ‘Twin Peaks’ makes comeback, 25 years later

On Oct. 6, “Twin Peaks” creators Mark Frost and David Lynch officially announced via Twitter the return of the cult classic to Showtime.
(ABC)

By Savannah Tate

Grab a cup of hot, black coffee and a box of small chocolate bunnies because “Twin Peaks” is returning to television.

On Oct. 3, creators Mark Frost and David Lynch hinted at the show’s return in a tweet released at 11:30 a.m., the precise minute Special Agent Dale Cooper first arrived in Twin Peaks to investigate the murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer. But before then, fans speculated whether the show would return in some way – whether through Netflix or its original network, ABC – since Frost and Lynch both seemed open to the idea.

Finally, on Oct. 6, the two officially announced via Twitter the return of “Twin Peaks” to Showtime. Expected early 2016 on the show’s 25th anniversary, the new season will consist of nine episodes and focus on the characters’ lives in the present day, 25 years after the events of the second season.

The revival of “Twin Peaks” makes sense considering television’s recent interest in vintage reboots and the show’s dedicated cult fan base. Although the show suffered from low viewership during its run on ABC, “Twin Peaks” has since influenced numerous dramas, including “Lost” and “The X-Files,” through its surrealism, penchant for the supernatural and offbeat style. Consequently, several critics dub the series one of the forerunners of the golden age of television. Perhaps it was simply ahead of its time.

Unlike its generic counterparts, “Twin Peaks” took a layered approach to cable drama in the 1990s. The show blends chilling storylines with quirky humor and a campy soap-opera score as it explores the double lives of its peculiar characters. Viewers can analyze the show like literature, tracing patterns and symbols throughout each episode that amount to greater ideas about duplicity and small-town respectability.

The decision not to remake but to revive the storylines of “Twin Peaks” suits the show’s sophistication. With its nuanced characters and iconic sets, the show has a living quality that allows the writers to easily begin where they left off. In fact, several fans refer to their viewing experience as “going to Twin Peaks” rather than watching “Twin Peaks.”

Plus, the fact that the events of the new season occur 25 years later coincides with one of the mysterious threads of the show. In the show’s final episode, which aired in June 1991, Agent Cooper finds himself in the Black Lodge, an extradimensional setting Cooper first visits in a dream. There, he speaks with the ghost of Laura Palmer who mysteriously says, “I’ll see you again in 25 years.” Because of the show’s attention to detail, the decision to release the new season in this exact time frame makes it seem like Frost and Lynch had planned it all along.

Now that the show has switched to Showtime, I worry that the network’s reputation for more risqué programs such as “Dexter” and “Masters of Sex,” may affect the writing of “Twin Peaks.” However, because Frost and Lynch committed to writing each episode and producing a season worthy of the acclaimed series, the show will likely retain its eccentric tone. It also helps that Lynch promised to oversee all nine episodes to maintain the show’s signature directing style.

Although Frost said he has not decided whether the revival will be a limited series or an ongoing program, the new addition will surely enrich the show’s story. After all, Frost and Lynch mainly used the death of Laura Palmer as an entrance point to the town itself and only revealed her murderer because of network demands. With the new season, the two can explore other story lines in greater depth.

“Twin Peaks” has always lived on, waiting for us to return. Now, we get to peel back another layer of its mystery.

Savannah Tate

Savannah Tate