Up Next: ‘House of Cards’ exploration vital for future of online programming

A&E columnist Savannah Tate discusses the prevalence of online original programming, beginning with the popular Netflix Original “House of Cards.”
(Netflix)

By Savannah Tate

The rise of online original programming has revolutionized the way we consume television. But are any of these new shows actually worth watching? Up Next highlights noteworthy original content from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Studios and examines how the flexible online format functions within each show. All you need is a laptop and your friend’s Netflix or Amazon Prime password.

We begin our exploration of online content with one of its biggest names: “House of Cards.” The show was the first online-only web television series to garner Emmy recognition, let alone 13 nominations this year. As such, “House of Cards” is a standout series that brought online programming major credibility – and for good reason.

“House of Cards” premiered on Netflix in February 2013. The series follows Frank Underwood, a Democrat from South Carolina and House majority whip, as he conspires to gain a greater position of power after being passed over for an appointment to Secretary of State. With the help of his calculating wife, Claire Underwood, he manipulates his peers in Washington through ruthless pragmatism and Machiavellian techniques.

The show has only released two seasons thus far but has already gained a remarkable reception among critics and casual watchers alike. When Netflix released the second season on Presidents’ Day weekend earlier this year, fans flocked to their computers to binge-watch the latest episodes and shunned social media to avoid spoilers. Even President Obama admitted to watching the series and tweeted “no spoilers, please.”

And “House of Cards” is certainly binge-able. Each chapter, or episode, leads seamlessly into the next as the Underwoods conspire to take over Washington. Its complex story arcs and intricate web of characters, although unrealistic at times, entice you to keep watching, which is easy to do with the entire series at your fingertips.

By watching a season in one sitting, viewers immerse themselves into the Underwoods’ dark yet unsettlingly realistic world. Such immersion often leads to obsession, which may be why “House of Cards” fans tend to appear a bit unhinged when describing their love of the show.

However, the frenzied pace of the show may also be misleading. Because binge-watching does not allow time to process the details of each episode, viewers may overlook how Frank quickly overcame daunting obstacles with relative ease. In hindsight, Frank’s machinations appear increasingly far-fetched, though their complexity may distract viewers.

Furthermore, in trying to mimic cable television for the web, the series fails to take full advantage of the perks of its online format. For example, the fourth season of “Arrested Development,” another Netflix undertaking, introduced a choose-your-own-adventure option for experiencing the latest season. I would like to see “House of Cards” offer another unprecedented method of its own.

Nevertheless, “House of Cards” seems to have a winning combination of quality casting, directing and writing. The show mimics the quality and scale of broadcast television, which marks a departure from web television’s humble beginnings. But “House of Cards” has not completely departed from its roots; since producing online is cheaper and less dependent on ratings, the show relies on this format to take a few major risks.

For example, several programs do not break the fourth wall because it may compromise the show’s realism, but “House of Cards” employs this technique to its benefit. Frank often offers clever asides to the camera, giving the viewer the role of a Washington insider. His cool and collected exchanges reveal Frank’s control of the situation. In fact, his silence is often a warning sign.

The writers also take risks by killing off major characters throughout the season. With a strong assembly of characters that could change at any moment, “House of Cards” never lets the viewer relax. It’s like “Game of Thrones” but without the endless stream of unpronounceable names.

Although the show may not experiment much with its online format, “House of Cards” blends the best of web and cable drama elements to create a winning formula. Hopefully, the show will continue to push boundaries and explore the potential of web television.

After all, “House of Cards” may have made history by being the first of its kind to garner Emmy recognition, but it must break new ground in order to maintain its status as the leader of the pack.

– Savannah Tate

Savannah Tate