Fall Theater Preview

(Courtesy of Hollywood Pantages Theatre)

By Natalie Green

As far as arts venues go, Westwood and Los Angeles are home to hundreds, from UCLA's Ralph Freud Playhouse to downtown L.A.'s Orpheum Theatre. Whether still wary about leaving campus, or ready to explore L.A., there are upcoming performances – be it a play, musical or otherwise – this fall quarter you won't want to miss. [caption id="attachment_197060" align="aligncenter" width=100%]web.ae.10.6.FTP.UCB.jpg (Courtesy of Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre)[/caption] "CollegeHumor Live LA" Oct. 7 Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre 5919 Franklin Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90028 Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, more commonly known as UCB, is one of the most famous and inexpensive comedy clubs in Los Angeles, with comedy shows seven nights a week. This week, the theater features a program tailored specifically for UCLA students, featuring the cast of CollegeHumor.com's now L.A.-based members. The night will mix stand-up and sketch comedy and feature special guests in UCB's intimate one-stage room, all for $5. [caption id="attachment_197061" align="aligncenter" width=100%]web.ae.10.6.FTP.discord.jpg (Courtesy of Geffen Playhouse)[/caption] "The Gospel According to Thomas Jefferson, Charles Dickens and Count Leo Tolstoy: Discord" Oct. 7-Nov. 16 Audrey Skirball Kenis Theater 10886 Le Conte Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90024 Westwood is home to the Geffen Playhouse, which brings a slew of productions easily accessible and affordable for UCLA students with rush tickets for $10. October through November features "Discord," a new play written by Scott Carter and directed by Matt August. The story centers around a cast of three: Jefferson, Dickens and Tolstoy.The comedic interactions between these three historical figures that ensue might even help those behind on reading buff up on coursework for the occasionally dry English or history class. [caption id="attachment_197062" align="aligncenter" width=100%]web.ae.10.6.FTP.marionettes.jpg (Courtesy of Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA)[/caption] "Ronnie Burkett Theatre of Marionettes: 'The Daisy Theatre'" Nov. 12-16 The Actors' Gang at Ivy Substation 9070 Venice Blvd. Culver City, CA 90232 Ronnie Burkett, a Canadian puppeteer, returns to the Los Angeles area for his second consecutive year with his most recent show, "The Daisy Theatre." The story is set in Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia during the time of underground puppet shows, and the duration of performance will feature over 30 marionettes. After last year's performance in Macgowan Hall's Little Theater, Burkett was not only asked to return to Los Angeles, but his show was also co-commissioned by the Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA for "The Daisy Theatre." Although the event will be in Culver City rather than on campus, tickets can still be purchased online through CAP's website. [caption id="attachment_197063" align="aligncenter" width="198"]web.ae.10.6.FTP.hair.jpg (Courtesy of Michael Butler)[/caption] "Hair" Nov. 21-22 Schoenberg Hall (UCLA) The student-run Hooligan Theatre Company is back, now celebrating its ensemble's 10th anniversary. The Company has stayed true to its normal season schedule of four shows throughout the school year, and this year’s debut is “Hair.” A rock musical centered around a “tribe” of hippies that is against the Vietnam War, “Hair” is a Hooligan must-see for theater lovers around campus. For those interested in being more than just an audience member, you can still audition through Oct. 8. [caption id="attachment_197064" align="alignleft" width="216"]web.ae.10.6.FTP.wicked.jpg (Courtesy of Hollywood Pantages Theatre)[/caption] "Wicked" Dec. 10-March 15 Pantages Theatre 6233 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028 Beginning in December, one of the most highly acclaimed Broadway musicals will be returning to the Hollywood Pantages Theatre. That's right, Los Angelenos get another chance to be flying off of their handles. "Wicked" follows the story of "The Wizard of Oz" long before Dorothy is stranded in the Land of Oz and, as of now, is the 11th longest-running Broadway show. For both newcomers and returning fans of the show, the musical will run from the end of fall quarter through winter quarter. It reveals the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch, who started out not so wicked, and provides an escape to Oz just when you might need it the most: during finals week. [caption id="attachment_197065" align="aligncenter" width="214"]web.ae.10.6.FTP.othertown.JPG (Courtesy of UCLA's School of Theater, Film and Television)[/caption] "The Other Town" Dec. 11-13 1340 Macgowan Hall (UCLA) For students looking for a dose of the theater a little closer to Westwood, this year's New Play Festival features MFA playwright Nicholas Johnson's "The Other Town." With a cast made up of many undergraduate students from the Department of Theater, "The Other Town" is a work of UCLA-spun art. The play, set in a familiar California locale, portrays a wrought family situation as Stevie, the central character, forgoes her own aspirations while taking care of her sister and mother.  

Natalie Green