UCLA swim and dive enters season with competitive edge

Sophomore diver Annika Lenz, who claimed the silver medal at the AT&T USA Diving National Championships, is part of a team that coach Tom Stebbins said could be “potentially one of the best teams (they’ve) had.” (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sari Zureiqat

At first, Ally Loper couldn’t find the right words when reflecting on what her role will be on this season’s UCLA swim and dive team.

“People turn to us (seniors) whenever anything goes wrong,” she said. “We’re not role models, but — “

“Mentors,” senior Courtney Wilde piped in.

Wilde then elaborated further on her initial description.

“(My role is to) be the best mentor I can and offer every kind of service I have to the younger girls and leave my mark in that way.”

That mentality is relevant considering the current makeup of the UCLA swim and dive team. With the roster erring on the larger side (38 members, 12 freshmen), Wilde said that the team dynamic has been more competitive and independent. And with the addition of 10 swimmers and two divers, dive coach Tom Stebbins said that at this point in the season he’s still working on getting to know them all.

“We have a really big team, but everybody gets along really well,” Wilde said. “I think the freshmen are already natural-born leaders.”

The seniors noted that this new competitive edge is a good thing. According to Loper, that extra facet of this year’s team ensures that every swimmer and diver works harder knowing that “I need to earn this,” referring to each spot in competition.

Despite this, no woman is on an island.

Loper noted that since the return from the club and independent training lifestyle to the team lifestyle that reemerges at this point in the year, the swimmers and divers have been growing closer. From “lots of team bonding” to a retreat, the athletes have filled much of their time with the “get-to-know-you stuff” to ensure that despite the internal competition, the athletes would be supportive of one another.

“We’re ready to swim for each other,” Wilde said.

Stebbins has high hopes for the dive team, which boasts sophomore Annika Lenz, freshman Ciara Monahan and freshman Maria Polyakova. Polyakova won silver for the 1-meter at the 2012 FINA World Junior Diving Championships.

But for now, it’s too early for specifics. Stebbins noted that training has been largely general and foundational, adding that the first big test won’t be until the Arizona duals in mid-November. The meets are significant considering UCLA swim and dive’s history with the Arizona schools.

And while it is too early in the season to concretely scope out strengths and weaknesses of the group, Stebbins is optimistic. According to him, the team is healthy, which is refreshing.

“On paper,” he said, “This is potentially one of the best teams we’ve had.”

Sari Zureiqat