Football scouting report: Utah

By Jordan Lee

OFFENSE: Quarterback Travis Wilson (No. 7, Jr.)

Last year, in UCLA’s 34-27 win over Utah, junior quarterback Travis Wilson threw six interceptions. A couple of interceptions less, and maybe the Bruins wouldn’t have left Salt Lake City with a victory.

Now, four games into Utah’s (3-1) season, the 6-foot-7-inch Wilson has yet to throw a single pick, to go along with his seven touchdowns.

He’s slowly begun to shed his reputation of a gambling quarterback – one who threw 16 interceptions in nine games last season – and for Utah it’s translated into wins, including one over Michigan in Ann Arbor.

“The big difference between this year and last year is his decision making is a lot better,” said sophomore defensive end Eddie Vanderdoes. “So that’s going to be a task for us.”

To Utah senior tight end Westlee Tonga, Wilson’s stark development began with a rough ending.

Last year, Wilson’s season was cut short after a season-ending concussion in the ninth game. That spurred a change – an increase in maturity that has come to define his game this season.

“Travis has really developed. He’s shown a lot of maturity, especially with the injury he had,” Tonga said. “Gaining the knowledge that you might have something taken away from you that you’ve had for your whole life, gives you a little bit of perspective. So I know that he’s been working real hard.”

Compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports senior staff.

DEFENSE: Defensive end Nate Orchard (No. 8, Sr.)

The frequent refrain out of Spaulding Field this week has concerned the physicality of the Utah defense, and with good reason. Offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone said that the Utes play with “that run and hit factor” – they are an energized group that is capable of offering multiple looks and challenging opposing offenses at the point of attack.

The Utes have a stout defensive front that ranks as the conference’s best run defense, allowing just three yards per carry to opposing ground games. Utah is just as impressive getting after the passer, as Kyle Whittingham’s club has collected 18 sacks – the second most in the Pac-12 – through its first four games. A UCLA offensive line that has already allowed 3.25 sacks per game on the year could have its hands full with senior defensive end Nate Orchard, who paces the Utes with 4.5 sacks.

Orchard is an experienced defensive lineman who has appeared in 41 career games and has started each of the last two seasons, including a 2012 campaign that earned him All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

At 6 feet 4 inches and 255 pounds, Orchard is a tad undersized for a 4-3 defensive end, but possesses great length and a strong burst off of the ball that allows him to engage and separate quickly from opposing tackles. Orchard originally signed with Utah as a receiver before making the transition to D-end, and still exhibits good athleticism and fluidity despite gaining 60 pounds in his time at Salt Lake. Orchard is effective rushing from both sides of the line and is equally comfortable lining up with his hands on the ground or standing up. Lastly, the senior has demonstrated a proclivity for making big plays in big games, notching two sacks and two forced fumbles in Utah’s upset victory over Stanford a year ago.

UCLA’s two offensive tackles – redshirt senior Malcom Bunche on the left and sophomore Caleb Benenoch on the right – are both coming off of perhaps their best performances of the season against Arizona State, and must continue their strong play if UCLA is to contain Orchard and keep redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley upright.

Compiled by Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Jordan Lee | Alumnus
Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.