prime’s Guide to Zero Week: DIY dorm decor for $10 or less

By Alexandra Tashman

Whether you’re in a dorm or an apartment, your living space can always use some sprucing up. Here are two do-it-yourself guides to help brighten up even the darkest corner of your home. While shelves are a functional way to show off tchotchkes, they’re also great for adding a little of bit of green into your life. Below, you’ll find prime’s guides to decorating shelves and potting easy-to-care-for succulents.

Successful shelving

1.jpg

Essentials:

Two square shelves

Two bottles of paint (choose whichever colors you like, one for the outside and one for the inside)

Paintbrushes of various sizes

A cup of water

Printed paper

Tape

Scissors

Newspaper (to protect your furniture from paint)

Optional: Choose between pushpins, nails or wall adhesive strips to mount the shelves.

Instructions:

Step 1: Squeeze some paint onto a palette of your choosing.

Step 2: Paint three sides of the outside of your shelves one color, then let them dry with the unpainted side on the newspaper.

Step 3: Once all the painted sides are dry, paint the single unpainted side. Allow it to dry.

Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a second coat.

Step 5: Squeeze your second paint color onto the newspaper.

Step 6: Paint the inside of the shelves and let them dry. Repeat for a second coat.

Step 7: Take a small paintbrush and clean up the edges, making sure that the paint colors stay separate.

Step 8 (optional): Lay your dry shelves on a piece of printed paper, and cut a piece the same size as the back of your shelves. Tape the paper to the back of the shelves.

Step 9: Hang your new shelves on the wall. Ta-da!

Tips: All of the supplies for this DIY can be found at Michaels arts and crafts stores and cost a total of $10. The closest Michaels location to campus can be found at the corner of Beloit Avenue and West Olympic Boulevard.

A little bit of greenery:

Essentials:

One small clay planter

One small clay plate for the planter’s base

One small succulent plant or cactus

Potting soil

One bottle of paint

An assortment of paintbrushes

A cup of water

Step 1: Put paint on the palette of your choosing.

Step 2: Paint the clay planter any color. Make sure to paint both the inside and the outside. Repeat as many times as necessary in order to get a thick, even coat.

Step 3: Paint the clay plate to match.

Step 4: Leave the planter and plate to dry.

Step 5: Once dry, fill the planter about halfway with potting soil.

Step 6: Place the small succulent or cactus into the planter, and break up its soil slightly, mixing it in with the already loose soil.

Step 7: Add more soil, until the space around the plant is full.

Step 8: Water regularly but not too often, as these types of plants require minimal attention.

Tips: The total cost for this project is $8. The planter, plate, plant and soil can all be found at local nurseries. There are several on Sawtelle Boulevard, near Westwood. The paint supplies can be found at Michaels.

Alexandra Tashman