ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Sept. 26

By Sam Hoff

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Store

• The UCLA Store sold $48,000 more BearWear items and more computers in August than expected, though areas such as new textbooks did not perform as well as expected.
  • The textbook store will introduce additional staff members called “TEXTperts” in the fall, who will stand near the queue and help students decide how to purchase their textbooks.

Food

• Food service sales were lower than expected near the end of the summer, mainly because of renovations and closures of several campus eateries, including LuValle Commons and Rx.
  • ASUCLA board members talked with the USAC Facilities commissioner about adding a composting program to their facilities. Executive director Robert Williams said the association has considered composting several times before, but chose not to for various reasons. He added that the association may change its practice now because packaging suppliers are more accustomed to making compostable products.

Construction

• The 180-foot supply tunnel connecting Ackerman Union to a new loading dock behind the engineering buildings opened recently, but crews are still working to open the patio outside of Carl’s Jr. on A-level.
  • Construction of Kikka Sushi in Ackerman Union has experienced some delays because of university construction requirements, Williams said. He added that Tsunami will stay open until the new restaurant is available for students.
  • ASUCLA expects to open the Music Cafe near the Inverted Fountain soon, after some information technology problems are resolved, Williams said.

Finances

• The UCLA Student Union is working with Chancellor Gene Block’s wife, Carol Block, to arrange for her and Gene Block to give copies of student artwork in the Student Union as gifts to dignitaries while traveling.
  • The ASUCLA Finance Committee met with members of the Communications Board to discuss whether it would be possible to outsource the production of the BruinLife yearbook. They discussed the details of the contract, but did not make any decisions because not all members of the Communications Board have been appointed yet.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus