USAC recap – Sept. 23

By Julia Raven

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council unanimously voted to approve contingency programming allocations.
  • The council approved in a 9-1-0 vote a calendar for the upcoming fall special election. Packets for candidates running this fall will be made available Oct. 2 at noon and are due Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. The special election will occur from Oct. 21 at noon until Oct. 23 at 11:59 p.m. Results will be available in the afternoon of Friday, Oct. 24. USAC Internal Vice President Avinoam Baral voted against the calendar’s approval.

Officer Reports

• USAC President Devin Murphy said he is meeting with UC President Janet Napolitano Wednesday to discuss mental health services at University campuses not paid by student fees. He added that he wants Chancellor Gene Block, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh and Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Janina Montero to participate in a forum with USAC, the Graduate Students Association and Student Media potentially after week five.
  • Internal Vice President Avinoam Baral said he is setting up a Student Vendor Fair during week eight as one of his platforms. He added that he hopes to rebrand Ally Week to get greater support for resources for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender committee.
  • Facilities Commissioner Carlos Quintanilla said he plans to put a fee referendum to fund the Green Initiative Fund after 2018. Quintanilla added that he wants the $4 quarterly student fee for the fund, which began in 2008 and was scheduled to run for 10 years, to last beyond 2018. He did not specify how many years it would continue for, but wanted to remove the 10-year cap.

Appointments

• The council unanimously appointed Andre Jones, a second-year political science student, to the Associated Students UCLA Communications Board for a two-year period.
  • USAC unanimously appointed Zoe Shay, a fourth-year ethnomusicology student to the Student Initiated Outreach Committee.

Compiled by Julia Raven, Bruin senior staff. Reporting by Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: The Student Initiated Outreach Committee does not address retention programs.

Julia Raven