UCLA leads Memphis 28-21 at halftime

By Kevin Bowman

This post was updated on Sept. 6 at 9:27 p.m.

UCLA answered some questions about its offense but created some new concerns about it defense in the first half against Memphis, leading 28-21 at halftime.

UCLA’s offense got off to a fast start, literally. After playing at a slow pace last week at Virginia and not scoring an offensive touchdown until late in the third quarter, UCLA started Saturday with a no-huddle offense right out of the gate.

With the up-tempo and more fluid offense, the Bruins opened the scoring on their second drive, going 71 yards on 12 plays with redshirt sophomore running back Paul Perkins capping things off with a 17-yard run for a touchdown. After a false start, junior kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn missed the extra point.

Perkins, who had 55 yards rushing and two touchdowns in the half, was helped by a much-improved offense line – aided by the return of redshirt junior center Jake Brendel – that opened up several big holes.

What followed was a steady stream of scores from both sides.

While the offense improved its play in the first half, UCLA’s defense seemed to struggle. Memphis responded to UCLA’s score with one of their own, driving 75 yards in 10 plays for a touchdown, exposing some subpar play from UCLA’s secondary in the process.

But the Bruin offense was again quick, responding to their sudden 7-6 deficit with a 62-yard heave from redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley to speedy redshirt sophomore wide receiver Kenneth Walker.

Memphis, however, responded quickly itself. The Tigers drove 75 yards for another score to retake a one-point lead, but the Bruins immediately scored again with a 14-yard pass to sophomore Y receiver Thomas Duarte to take a 20-14 lead.

UCLA added to their lead with a four-yard Perkins touchdown run, set up by a 52-yard catch by Duarte. The Bruins converted on a 2-point try to make up for the missed extra point earlier.

The Tigers then cut into that lead, going 85 yards in four plays to score yet again.

The quarter ended with three combined punts from the two sides.

Aikman’s jersey to be retired

UCLA will retire former Bruin quarterback Troy Aikman’s jersey on Nov. 28’s home game against Stanford, athletic director Dan Guerrero announced Saturday. Aikman wore No. 8.

“UCLA is a special place to me,” Aikman said in a statement. “Having my number eight UCLA jersey retired is something I will forever cherish, and this is a very special moment for me and my family.”

Aikman played for UCLA from 1986 to 1989, leading the Bruins to a 20-4 record and two bowl wins.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus