Dean of UCLA School of Law announces plans to step down

Rachel Moran announced Friday that she plans to resign as dean of the UCLA School of Law. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Daily Bruin

Aug. 29, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Rachel Moran, dean of the UCLA School of Law, announced in an email to law school alumni Friday morning that she will step down after serving as the school’s dean for four years.

Moran, a Michael J. Connell distinguished professor of law, did not give a reason in her email for why she does not plan to pursue a second four-year term.

In the email, Moran said she will remain dean until a search party headed by UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh finds a replacement.

Moran and law school spokespeople could not immediately be reached for comment.

“From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed and inspired by your partnership and engagement in this amazing community at UCLA Law,” she said in the email. “I know it is precisely the strength of this community that will be such a joy and source of motivation to my successor.”

Before she started working at UCLA in 2010, Moran helped form the UC Irvine law school and taught for 26 years at the UC Berkeley law school.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin