Graphic: UCLA football season preview

By Daily Bruin

The Daily Bruin analyzes a few UCLA football tidbits through statistical graphics – one each day for the next three days – to gear up for UCLA’s season opener Saturday at Virginia.

***

Friday, Aug. 29: Winning the ‘big one’

For the Bruins to seriously contend for a berth in the first-ever College Football Playoff this year, they will probably need to do something that they haven’t done in the past two years: beat a top-15 team.

Right now, it looks as if UCLA will have three opportunities this season to get the monkey off its back and beat a top-15 team. UCLA faces three teams this year that are currently ranked in the AP top 15 – No. 3 Oregon, No. 15 USC and No. 11 Stanford – and each of these games will be played at the Rose Bowl. Whether these teams will still be ranked in the top 15 by the time UCLA plays them, however, remains to be seen.

Compiled by Matthew Joye, Bruin Sports senior staff.

***

Thursday, Aug. 28: The run game

When the leading rusher on the season is your quarterback – and there weren’t many designed runs for him – what does that say about your running backs?

This was UCLA last year, poking and prodding its running back group to try and find a No. 1 option to replace Johnathan Franklin’s impact the previous season. Before Jordon James injured his hamstring early in the fourth game of the season, he looked the part – averaging a tick over 141 yards in the first three contests.

Injuries depleted last season’s positional group further, so much so that the Bruins had to turn to a freshman linebacker – Myles Jack – for carries. Luckily for UCLA, that turned out well.

Again, this season the Bruins will look to try and find a go-to running back.

So far this year in preseason practices, redshirt sophomore Paul Perkins has appeared adept at finding holes and eluding would-be tacklers. He looks able to have a breakout season for the team unless James – who seems healthy at last – can resume his early season form from a year ago.

Regarding Jack, many in the program have been mum on what role he will play on offense this year. The expectation is he will get a few carries here and there, but expect them to be short-yardage ones.

8.28.sports.football.seasonpre.dayII.png

Compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports senior staff.

***

Wednesday, Aug. 27: The Pass Rush

Through three weeks of UCLA’s fall camp, coach Jim Mora mentioned it multiple times: The Bruins’ pass rush, or lack thereof, concerns him. Judging by the look of the team’s schedule, he has a reason to worry.

UCLA faces many Pac-12 teams this year with elite quarterbacks. No surprise there. After all, it has been dubbed “The year of the quarterback” for the conference this season. The Bruins’ talented secondary should hold up and perform well against many elite quarterbacks, but that depends on if UCLA’s front seven can apply enough pressure to opposing quarterbacks to keep them from having ample time to throw.

At season’s end, the Bruins’ secondary could wind up one of the nation’s best. But they’re going to need the front seven to hold up their end of the bargain to do so.

Day1-Football.edit3.ai-01.jpg

Pass rushers to watch

Redshirt senior defensive Owamagbe Odighizuwa: Odighizuwa, who missed all of last season, has shown tremendous speed and flashed power thus far. He appears to be in terrific shape, and should be a force.

Sophomore outside linebacker Myles Jack: It appears Jack will slide into graduated Anthony Barr’s pass rushing role, and so far, he’s looked good there. He has quick feet and good ball skills. His freakish athleticism also helps.

Sophomore outside linebacker Deon Hollins: Hollins may not start at the second outside linebacker position, but he’ll be in the rotation – and his terrific pass rushing skills are why. Outside linebackers coach Mike Tuiasosopo said Hollins’ first step is one of the fastest he’s seen.

Daily Bruin