Predictions for major categories of 66th Primetime Emmy Awards

(HBO)

By Savannah Tate

Aug. 25, 2014 2:07 a.m.

The Primetime Emmy Awards often honor the same actors, actresses and programs, to the point where this awards show has become a complete snoozefest. However, with a new airtime, “Saturday Night Live” alumnus Seth Meyers as host and a crop of notable shows nominated, this could be an interesting year after all. Here are my some of my hopes and predictions for Monday night’s winners.

Outstanding drama series

In honor of its final season, “Breaking Bad” will likely win this category. Although the show has some stiff competition, from namely “House of Cards” and “Game of Thrones,” those programs cannot top the intensity and brilliance of the final episodes of “Breaking Bad.” I would argue the show had one of the most satisfying endings in TV history, and Emmy voters will have a hard time arguing in favor of a different show.

Outstanding lead actor in a drama series

(Courtesy of Ursula Coyote)
(Courtesy of Ursula Coyote)

I think Emmy voters will honor Bryan Cranston a final time for his brilliant portrayal of the infamous Walter White – especially since the show submitted “Ozymandias,” one of the series’ most powerful episodes, to represent his work. Nevertheless, the vote will be close since Oscar darling Matthew McConaughey is in the ring for his role as Detective Rust Cohle on “True Detective,” another critically acclaimed show.

Outstanding lead actress in a drama series

(Courtesy of Jojo Whilden)
(Courtesy of Jojo Whilden)

Another show snubbed by Emmy voters this year: “The Good Wife.” Critics seem to love this legal drama for its realistic portrayal of the American political scene, and Julianna Margulies carries the show with her stunning portrayal of the tenacious, smart Alicia Florrick. Although Robin Wright as Claire Underwood in “House of Cards” presents another compelling political character and Claire Danes from “Homeland” has won this category the past few years, Emmy voters may choose Margulies to recognize her noteworthy performance this season on “The Good Wife.”

Outstanding comedy series

This title has belonged to “Modern Family” for the past four years, but this year Netflix’s beloved series “Orange Is the New Black” could split the vote. Despite its debatable classification as a comedy, “Orange Is the New Black” offers some of the most honest stories of underrepresented women to viewers. With a talented ensemble cast and a major following of fans and critics alike, the show may finally break the “Modern Family” streak.

Outstanding lead actor in a comedy series

The choices here are weak compared to the tight races in other categories. I am primarily disappointed Andy Samberg of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” did not receive a nomination since the other choices seem pretty bland. Perhaps Louis C.K. will win, even though his show “Louie” is not terribly funny. More likely, however, Jim Parsons will once again take the Emmy for his popular role as Sheldon Cooper on “The Big Bang Theory.” Yawn.

Outstanding lead actress in a comedy series

web.ae.8.25.emmypicks.picA.jpg
(Courtesy of Steve Jennings)

I sincerely hope Amy Poehler of “Parks and Recreation” wins this year. As the showrunner, Poehler made Leslie Knope a memorable, lovable character. The Emmys have snubbed “Parks and Recreation” for years despite its merits, and this award could give the show some much-needed recognition. Then again, Emmy voters seem to stick to their favorites, so Julia Louis-Dreyfus of “Veep” will likely take the title for the third year in a row.

Outstanding variety series

“The Daily Show” was once undefeated in this category since 2003 until “The Colbert Report” took the title last year. With Stephen Colbert taking over for David Letterman on “Late Show” and “The Colbert Report” winning a Creative Arts Emmy for outstanding writing for a variety series, the odds seem in Colbert’s favor. Plus, “The Colbert Report” only seems to improve with age, so it has a great chance of winning the title for a second year.

– Savannah Tate

Savannah Tate