ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Aug. 22

By Sam Hoff

Aug. 25, 2014 2:07 a.m.

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises.

Store

• ASUCLA has signed up thousands of students for the ASUCLA Benefits U program so far at the New Student Orientation and Transfer Orientation events.
  • An online computer store for students opened this month on the UCLA Store website.

Food

• Food sales remained strong on the first floor of Ackerman Union. Sales were better on A-level in July, which has fallen short of budget in recent months.
  • In 2013-2014, the North Campus Student Center performed relatively well, but LuValle Commons’ sales were below expectations.
  • Campus coffee shops and the South Campus Student Center performed better in 2013-2014 than in the previous year.
  • Food Services met with the campus architect and UCLA Library officials to discuss building a café in Powell Library, which was a campaign platform of current undergraduate student government President Devin Murphy. ASUCLA Executive Director Robert Williams said many more discussions have to take place before the project is confirmed because Powell Library is a historic building.
  • The Board of Directors voted to allocate about $80,000 to purchase four self-serve frozen yogurt machines, which will be put in the Rx candy shop on the first floor of Ackerman Union. Food Service Director Cindy Bolton said the introduction of frozen yogurt to Ackerman Union will allow the Association to change the Baskin Robbins area of Kerckhoff Coffee House into a barista station.

Construction

• The patio behind Carl’s Jr. on A-level in Ackerman Union was closed off this month for the construction of a 180-foot tunnel, which will connect Ackerman Union to a new loading dock behind the engineering buildings.
  • Kikka Sushi is still under construction on A-level, and plans to open around the beginning of the school year.
  • UCLA Restaurants expect to begin work on a new café in the Evelyn and Mo Ostin Music Center, near the Inverted Fountain, in September.

Budgets

• The Association fell short of its monthly plan for July by about $150,000 because of an aggressive budget and the increase in the state minimum wage.
  • About 50 to 100 ASUCLA employees had cars trapped in parking structures during the UCLA flood. The Association is offering the employees interest-free loans.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus