Anti-Semitic flier placed under door of Jewish-owned business

By Sam Hoff

An anti-Semitic flier with swastikas was found under the door of a business run by Jewish individuals in Westwood on Tuesday.

Boruch Cunin, a rabbi at the Chabad House at UCLA, said the business owner and an employee later came to him to discuss the flier.

“I told them to come over, and they came over with the flier, shaking. They were very, very nervous,” he said. “They were literally shaking because of the swastikas (on the flier).”

Cunin said the business owner asked that his name and his business not be disclosed because he wants to protect his privacy.

He described the contents of the flier, which makes references to rogue police and O.J. Simpson, as “mumbo-jumbo.”

“Warning … All of the wanted susspects, television personalitys or addres’s … won’t stop murdering people for television ratings and are accomplices to murder or Nazi operitives,” the flier said.

Natalie Charney, a fourth-year global studies student and president of Hillel at UCLA, said she thinks the university should respond to the incident because the UCLA community should not tolerate anti-Semitism.

“With the recent conflict, I think there has been an (increase) in anti-Semitism worldwide, but the fact that it hit so close to home is truly disturbing,” she said.

In an unrelated incident, a restaurant on Westwood Boulevard reported to police on Thursday afternoon what it described as a hateful Yelp review.

The review, posted on Sunday, alleged that a group of patrons were denied service at the LIWAN Restaurant and Hookah Lounge because they were wearing stars of David, said Chris Ragsdale, senior lead officer for Los Angeles Police Department West.

He added that police have not been able to get in touch with the reviewer.

Ragsdale and university police spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein both said they were not aware of any calls to the police or any ongoing investigation regarding the flier.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus